Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question from an old guy

An easy, if crude, fix is to apply rubberized skateboard tape or Talon Grip material to the sides of the slide. I did this years ago on a Kel-Tec 3AT, a roughly similar size .380, which had very shallow serrations on its narrow slide due to poor machining. I did not want to bother returning it, as I was told it would take some time. Due to the shape of this gun, I did this at the front, near the muzzle, where the slide narrowed. (This was an early slide version of this pistol.) I like front serrations and prefer to use them, if available. The tape material can be applied wherever you prefer to grip the slide. With the extra width and roughness of the added material, it was much much easier to grip and rack the slide. If this does not work for you, it is easy to remove the tape to return the gun to its original condition.

I have a PM9 and a CW9. I have no trouble working the slide on those two guns. I taught firearms at 2 police academies and I taught firearms at a local college for their AOJ classes for 7 years. I know how to work a slide, but I have developed arthritis in my hands and I can't grip that slim slide on the CW380. I have talon grips on the gun maybe put some talon tape on the slide. Might work. Will also putting in an empty mag. see if that works.

The Remington RM380 has the easiest racking slide I have ever experienced. See if you can handle one at your LGS.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    The Remington RM380 has the easiest racking slide I have ever experienced. See if you can handle one at your LGS.

Dave
    This is a sure enough fact. I have never racked a gun I remember that is as easy. You'd just have to grt used to the LONG trigger.

That being said my cw380 came in today and it is a bugger to rack that last fraction of an inch. Good news though it will feed a round from the mag slow racking it. Range time tomorrow.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

x7 in the grip tape, wouldnt change out the recoil spring but rather pick up something more managable for yourself if the grio tape doesnt do the trick..
    good luck
    RIP Muggsy

I tried everything. I even got some talon strips and put them on the slide. I am a retired LE and firearms instructor for many years. The gun just didn't work for me. I traded it for a Glock 42 this last week. I can rack the slide and the wife can also work the slide and we both shoot it very well. thanks for all your suggestions. They are appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken43 View Post
    I tried everything. I even got some talon strips and put them on the slide. I am a retired LE and firearms instructor for many years. The gun just didn't work for me. I traded it for a Glock 42 this last week. I can rack the slide and the wife can also work the slide and we both shoot it very well. thanks for all your suggestions. They are appreciated.
    It sounds like you did the right thing!

A couple of years ago I sandblasted the slide on mine with 80-grit glass media to hide some dings. It turns out that the coarse finish also helped give my fingers a little more traction on the slide than when it had the factory satin beadblast finish. Just something else to chew on.
    Last edited by dsk; 08-29-2017 at 10:47 PM.

Try pushing the slide back instead of pulling it back. Off hand on top of gun with thumb pointed to the back of gun. Instead of trying to squeeze the slide between the thumb and forefinger you are squeezing the slide between all of your fingers and palm. Pull your arms in close to your chest for leverage.

while gripping the slide and grip in opposite hands, try pushing both hands together with vigor; kind of like doing the hand jive.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER