Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New round rattles in chamber

Default New round rattles in chamber

Have a new P380. Have fired 570 rounds through it. When I disassemble, I can drop a new, un-fired round in the chamber and it rattles. Not a snug or tight fit, totally loose. When I invert the barrel, the round falls out. 20 of the rounds fired were Underwood +P Xtreme Defenders (1400 FPS), but I read that the P380 is good for +P. The ejected casings are dirty and the bottom of the slide is quite dirty. Is this normal?

It is very easy to google the SAMMI specs for a .380. If you have a way to measure the cylinder you can easily see if it is in spec. Dan

The cylinder is .3809 and the bullet is .3739. So, the gap between the bullet case and cylinder is .007 or 7 thousands of an inch. Dan EDIT: Remember that is a total of 7 thousands or 3.5 thousands on each side.

To put this in perspective the total gap between the cylinder and piston in my 1972 Honda CB750 is only 2.5 thousands. Dan

I had a 1975 Honda CB200T.
    Sold it for $100 about 30 years ago.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I checked my 380, 9mm and 45acp Kahr pistols and they all rattle a bullet. I would have never imagined that.

This had me intrigued. I checked all of my handguns (26 of them) and only found one to rattle as you speak. It was a Taurus PT11G2 9mm. I don't own a Kahr handgun, but it was interesting to find out which one rattles with one round in the chamber. My handguns range from high end to mid range weapons to a couple of economy type weapons. I don't know where to place Kahr in this spectrum. Like I said, this was mighty interesting!

My post is sarcasm. It can’t be a tight fit. Most rounds would never chamber.

Shake Rattle and Roll Baby

Just tried to do the shake with a Kahr P380, no dice. Same with CM9, Also put a round in a "Case Gauge" and of course fell out when turned upside down.

But if you want some cheap entertainment and some shake music. Checkout this with Ruger. Go to about 14:33 to start the band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXeLplv2r1Q&t=924s

Just checked and a round rattles in mine as well. I wouldn’t worry about it.