Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the cw380

king rat must be talking about a gun from mars.... ive shot well over 1800 rounds through my lcp and most are handloads, ive never had a single problem with the gun... you must be sensitive to recoil or have monster hands and cant control the gun... these things rock out of the box, no mods needed.... period
    RIP Muggsy

The Ruger LCP has been the best-selling micro .380 on the market over the past decade for a reason. It's a cheap, simple little pistol that works quite well. Most of them usually run 100% with most brands of ammo, which isn't something that can be said of the P/CW380. The recoil is objectionable to some people, but I don't think it's really that bad. However they aren't nearly as accurate or as comfortable to shoot as a Kahr.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDaze View Post
    king rat must be talking about a gun from mars.... ive shot well over 1800 rounds through my lcp and most are handloads, ive never had a single problem with the gun... you must be sensitive to recoil or have monster hands and cant control the gun... these things rock out of the box, no mods needed.... period
    Lol, so you consider a size 9 a monster hand? Really? Recoil sensitive? Hardly. I said I have owned three of these, and on my fourth. What makes you think I cannot control the gun? I actually shot the gun quite well. But they are hardly smooth shooters. You say you have shot the gun 1800 rounds, ok. I shot my first one 2200 rds before it went down. As I said, I have owned and shot LCP's for a long time, I was on the LCP forum for years and learned quite a bit about them. I feel I know these guns well. I have posted before to start looking for cracks in the grip and frame as early as 1500 rounds. And If you have actually shot other guns and you cannot feel the significance in the differences in recoil, then I have to wonder if you have ever shot other pocket guns most especially the Karh and the Pico or the Sigs.
    I will post pics later of the difference in the quality of the parts etc. And Pics of cracks, and rail splits etc. The LCP, Keltec,Taurus etc. are all good guns, just do not have the quality of the Beretta and the Kahr or Sig nor do they shoot as mild and forgiving. The LCP gen2, IMO at around $179.00 is the better buy over the LCP ll. Safer trigger, smooth trigger very similar to the Kahr and cost $100 less in cost. Buy the way, I am not the only one that found the Recoil of the LCP to be harsh. It is pretty much a standard of opinion for years. Yes it is a good reliable gun, as far as ammo goes, but they are throw away guns. Meant to shoot for a certain amount of rounds and then they go down. Good news is Ruger will repair them or send you a new one.

Below are so of the areas where the LCP will go down, lack of stress points from the recoil.

Here is a pic of another owners pistol. I had similar grips with one going all the way down the mag well.

Notice the stainless steel inserts on the Kahr There is a reason Kahr went to the extra lenghts to add these inserts

The Pico not only has designed steel inserts for the stress areas, but the Pistol is modular. Easy to change out to a new grip.

Last edited by King Rat; 08-30-2017 at 06:23 AM.

IMHO, I wouldn't carry any of them. Ease of carry and convenience are last on my list of attributes for a firearm for carry. You get what you pay for. Shoot them for a while and throw them away. That's what they are, throw a way's. Couple thousand rounds and that's it. IMHO, anyone who shoots more than a couple hundred rounds through one of these is wasting ammo. Realistically, they are for 7 yds. and under. What if your defensive situation requires something more accurate and at a longer distance for a longer period of time? You're SOL my friend. You could throw it at them, but the plastic won't do too much damage. Instead of worrying about how easy it is to plop it in your pocket or purse, you should be thinking a bit more seriously about saving your life. That is why we carry. No thanks to the plastic fantastic pea shooters. I'll carry a real gun, and put up with a bit of discomfort. I guess it all depends on how serious you really are about protecting yourself and loved ones. I used to own a few of these firearms, so I have shot them. Key words, used to. Waste of ammo. Unless you're financially lucky enough to have lots of ammo on hand. Lousy triggers, lousy sights, cheap materials, what's not to like??????? Flame if you wish, but it's really something to seriously think about.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    IMHO, I wouldn't carry any of them. Ease of carry and convenience are last on my list of attributes for a firearm for carry. You get what you pay for. Shoot them for a while and throw them away. That's what they are, throw a way's. Couple thousand rounds and that's it. IMHO, anyone who shoots more than a couple hundred rounds through one of these is wasting ammo. Realistically, they are for 7 yds. and under. What if your defensive situation requires something more accurate and at a longer distance for a longer period of time? You're SOL my friend. You could throw it at them, but the plastic won't do too much damage. Instead of worrying about how easy it is to plop it in your pocket or purse, you should be thinking a bit more seriously about saving your life. That is why we carry. No thanks to the plastic fantastic pea shooters. I'll carry a real gun, and put up with a bit of discomfort. I guess it all depends on how serious you really are about protecting yourself and loved ones. I used to own a few of these firearms, so I have shot them. Key words, used to. Waste of ammo. Unless you're financially lucky enough to have lots of ammo on hand. Lousy triggers, lousy sights, cheap materials, what's not to like??????? Flame if you wish, but it's really something to seriously think about.
    It took a while, but finally...the first gun snob post I have seen since I joined this forum. TY, it reassures my faith that people like you will always be around to tutor us as to what we should carry as a REAL self defense firearm!!!

Don't make me come down there and separate you two!

One mans junk is another mans treasure. Leave it at that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I carry 9mm's most of the time and a couple of them are small enough to be pocketable. But at times the .380 fits the bill when I'm working in the yard and its 95 degrees with humidity to match, or working under the car, or carrying in light clothing where carry is not permi.... well you know what I mean. But I'm always carrying. Its a get off me pistol and 7 rounds of ball ammo (yes I carry ball in .380) will get them off me. If I'm shooting at distance I'll prefer my .45 which I shoot really well to 50 yards, or my 9's for maximum round count.

The original LCP is a hand full to me without that hogue grip and I do have monster hands. Darn thing is a knuckle buster because my fingers are so long I can't shoot like youre "supposed" to. Over over 7 years I've put well over 1000 rounds through it little by little to stay proficient and at 3 yards or less (face to face distance) I can make center chest or head shots without aiming every time. It's functioned 100% with everything but Independence ammo.

Only once did I almost have to draw my carry gun and I had my CM9 on me at the time. But the .380 would have served it's purpose because the guy was in my face.

Back to the original post, my new CW380 is nice, better shooting than the LCP gen 1, and I'm happy with it so far.

Main thing is everyone should always carry but I will say I wouldn't want to carry smaller than a .380 given how concealable they are these days. Better than just a stick for sure. Wasn't WW2 started because Archduke Ferdinand was killed with either a .32 or .380? I cant remember which caliber it was.
    Last edited by yqtszhj; 08-30-2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Spelling
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I agree with yqtszhj (what a surprise).

I can shoot my CW380 very accurately at 10 yards, and with the advances in ammo technology, you're not giving up a thing compared to +P 38 Special out of a snubby revolver.

If I have the distance to get away, I'm running. Getting into a gun fight at longer distances with a handgun isn't a good idea no matter what you're carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I agree with yqtszhj (what a surprise).

I can shoot my CW380 very accurately at 10 yards, and with the advances in ammo technology, you're not giving up a thing compared to +P 38 Special out of a snubby revolver.

If I have the distance to get away, I'm running. Getting into a gun fight at longer distances with a handgun isn't a good idea no matter what you're carrying.
    What he said.

I don't know about any of you all but in an active shooter situation (the shooter is within ear shot but out of sight) I'm getting my A** out of there. I guess I tend more to the "flight" than the "fight"

If you want a pocket .380 to double as a range gun get a Glock 42, SIG P238 or Colt Mustang. They're stout enough for the long haul, but you'll be paying the price of additional size and weight.