CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the cw380

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    I own 2, and had 2 others in the past. The most recent one (4th) is the first to experience issues and they're exactly as described by MMyers1970 except I sent mine in after 200 rounds. It's in there now. The other 3 have been money.

Before and in between I've owned an LCP, a Pico, and very briefly a Taurus TCP. All had issues and none were close to being as shootable as the Kahr in my opinion.

I'm curious to try the new Taurus Spectrum. The specs look good but they're way behind in making them available. Same thing happened when the CW380 first came out.

UPDATE 8/31/17 - CW380 #4 came back quickly from Kahr with an "upgraded extractor" so I guess that was the problem with this recent batch. Anyway, I finally got to shoot it a couple days ago. MUCH BETTER. No jams or failures to feed at all, but it did lock back prematurely. I have 4 mags and had the problem at least once with each mag. I use the same mags in my other cw380 and never have this happen, so its not the mags. The problem diminished as the session went on. I quit after shooting a box, will clean, lube and try again. I hope the problem disappears by end of next session. If not, back she goes again.

Meantime if anyone has insight into what may cause a CW380 prematurely to lock back, NOT related to the magazine, I'd appreciate.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

It's ok if I get flamed, I expected it from the .380 crowd. Everyone seems to think that their scenario will be the same as everyone else. They also think that they can also run away. Last year, in my area, a guy was accosted at a park by a meth head. While charging the victim, he took 5 .380's before he got a hold of the victim and snapped his neck. I've never said that other firearms or calibers would knock anyone off their feet or down. What I am saying is that in this scenario, the .380 wasn't good enough, not even close dealing with a meth head. Someone even mentioned the fact that some people don't even know they are shot. I'll take my larger firearms, larger calibers and my chances with larger holes and more damage. Maybe a larger firearm would have saved his life by ending the situation that much sooner. Carry away.............

Slowburn: check the spring in the frame that engages the slide stop and make sure it's applying downward pressure.

Berettabone: meth heads, heroin addicts, and pychos high on PCP can be extremely difficult to bring down with just a handgun, regardless of caliber. If you don't hit them in the central nervous system they're likely to stay on their feet. Yes it's true that a .45 will improve your odds over a .380... I don't think any rational person would deny that. But as they say, a .45 won't do you much good if you decided it was too big and heavy to strap on for just a quick trip down to the grocery store for some milk. I also won't help you if you work in a place that doesn't recognize your Second Amendment rights and you're forced to either go unarmed or carry as discreetly as possible to avoid being found out and fired. Pocket .380s are the most popular carry guns out there for a simple reason: they're what most folks find they can have on them all the time regardless of circumstances. I personally would feel much safer if I were able to carry my Colt Commander everywhere seven days a week, or even my Taurus G2. Unfortunately that's simply not possible.
    Last edited by dsk; 08-31-2017 at 01:36 PM.

I would have to disagree with you about the caliber. Larger calibers break arm bones, leg bones, have much more impact potential, and make much larger holes, which is much more important when dealing with dope heads. I agree, dopers are hard to bring down with any handgun. Why would you want to make your defense more difficult? If this poor guy with the .380 (that I mentioned that was killed) would have had a larger caliber firearm, he probably wouldn't have had to put all the shots to the central nervous system. These shots could have been hitting arms, legs, etc. and incapacitating him, so he wasn't able to snap the guys neck. So much more powerful for the average joe. I guess that's what makes me a bit different. I wouldn't decide that a .45 was too big or too heavy to strap on for just a quick trip to the store. To me, that's called carry laziness. Just because something is easier, or more convenient, doesn't make it better. Also, I wouldn't be employed by a company who doesn't recognize my 2nd Amendment rights. It must be very stressful to have to hide the fact that you carry from your employer. Too stressful for me. Work is stressful enough without having to hide something from an employer. You say that Pocket .380's are the most popular carry guns out there for a simple reason.......because people can have them all the time regardless of circumstances. I say it's called convenience, laziness, what ever you want to call it. They are giving up firepower, weight, and accuracy for ease of carry. They want the easiest, simplest, most convenient way to carry. I would venture a guess and say that 75% of these firearms are in a purse, fanny pack, bra holster, pocket, etc. In a really tough place to get at, especially if they have to hide it from their employer. Do you know what I hear the most, out of everything I hear about the .380 mouse gun. " Well, it's better than nothing at all." That's a sad scenario in my book. It's like having a 2# fire extinguisher in your hand when your house is on fire and saying, " Well, it's better then nothing." Really??????? I know I won't change mouse gun owner's minds. It's all about the convenience. It's just my opinion.............but it is something to think about. Maybe I don't worry about it. I live in an open carry state. I don't give 2 $#!t's if someone knows I am carrying. If they do, they'll know it's something larger than a mouse gun. Even with the advances in ammo these days, there is no doubt in MY mind, that a larger caliber/firearm will do a much better job, and increase your odds of surviving. Carry on.....................

Quote Originally Posted by boscobarbell View Post
    Statistically, most gun fights occur at very close distances. An encounter beyond the 7-10 yard range is about as likely as getting hit by lightning while falling off a cliff. Take LEO encounters out of the stats (because they often HAVE to enter the encounter, whereas civilians can simply retreat, observe, and report) and it is almost statistically immeasurable.

So I wholeheartedly agree with you. If you've got a gun that is reliable and fairly accurate at 10 yards, you've got yourself an EDC keeper.

Agree also witht to caliber. With today's advances, a .380 is more than viable for an EDC round. Caliber snobs will always call for bigger bullets, but the reality is that we're ALL dealing with compromised weapons. If we knew with absolute certainty that we were going to get into a gunfight on a particular day, we'd all carry a carbine…with a shotgun as backup. So opting for a pistol is always a compromise, and the ballistic differences amongst .380/9/40/45, while measurable, really vanish in terms of real-world effectiveness when you factor in multiple hits on target. So train, train, train, learn to hit center mass with multiple rounds when it counts. And, if age and physical conditions allow, practice shooting on the move and getting to concealment/cover, because no matter what you throw at your bad guy, getting shot in return will ruin your whole day.
    Agree 100% with every thing you said Bosco. The comment from another poster "Do you know what I hear the most, out of everything I hear about the .380 mouse gun. " Well, it's better than nothing at all." That's a sad scenario in my book". Ok, that sounds like the old comments before all the advancements in the modern day 380. And these comments were actually more directed to the 22.cal or 32.cal. Some folks seem to want to live in the Past and not more forward. Of course, no one can predict all scenarios of where the monster may raise his head, but you can CCW to be practical. A high quality 380 Defense round at close range is deadly, I do not care how you cut it. And I would venture to say most attacks will be close range. Road Rage, walking to your car, even just walking your dog.
    How many others have tired to carry big heavy guns, only to leave them at home? I would bet a lot.
    The 380. pocktet gun is a great tool or weapon to have all the time. And if any bad guy thinks differently, he would be making a deadly mistake to under estimate the lethal cartridge. I have heard the same old comments for years about the deranged Meth head etc. Ok, I got it. But then no handgun will be ideal. And I doubt I will start carrying around a 12 ga. shotgun.

Instead of complaining that the 380. being under powered, a better use of energy would be to actually train more often. I am a firm believer in "Frequent, Moderate Training". I train /shoot at least once a week. And I train at home with BB/Pellet guns as well. Constantly improving on Point and shoot skills and fast drawing. Carrying around a large gun on my side or in my pants is not feasible for my life style, business environment, or practical in the vast majority of cases. It just is not going to happen. I feel very confident that I have a deadly firearm for most typical applications that may confront me on a every day basis. I can draw it fast, and I have confidence I can put in a series of deadly rounds into center mass.
    I for one am thankful for the great concealment of the Pocket gun and for the constant improvement being made all the time in Defense Carry Ballistics of the 380. caliber. They will only get better as time moves on.

regardless of the caliber we carry, the takeaway from this discussion should be we all need to be proficient with the Mozambique Drill and be prepared to use it as the routine response in neutralizing the threat. it is part of my practice IDPA routine, but it is hard to master, especially while moving or on a charging threat.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I have heard the same old comments for years about the deranged Meth head etc. Ok, I got it. But then no handgun will be ideal. And I doubt I will start carrying around a 12 ga. shotgun.
    Just a side note, but back in the 1980s a neighbor a few blocks down was attacked by his own adult son who was high on something. The father managed to break away and grabbed his 12ga shotgun, and he shot his son with it. Instead the son managed to wrestle the shotgun out of his father's hands and beat him with it. Finally the police showed up and they managed to subdue him, but he continued to be a problem all the way to the hospital. My mom told me that the house basically had to be gutted to clean up all the blood and mess both the father and son left. When somebody is stoned out of his mind from hallucinogenic drugs he becomes an unstoppable killing machine, much like a real-life terminator. I'd hate to be carrying just a .380 if I ran into someone like that, but the truth is shot placement will be the only thing that saves your bacon, not simply packing the largest caliber. Even a meth-head or LCP-laced freak will drop if you put a .380 bullet right through his eye socket.

You are right about no gun being ideal for a meth head. The chances of the average person ever meeting and having to deal with this kind of a problem is like winning the Power Ball 500 Million Dollar Jackpot, 1 in 292 Million. So in conclusion, there is no reason that a 380 ACP will not be a good self defense gun caliber. I feel safe when I carry mine. But I also have bigger guns for different occasions.

Rule #1 of gunfighting: Have a gun.

If you are able to conceal a .50 AE Desert Eagle on you in 90-degree weather, good for you. I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by bugs View Post
    regardless of the caliber we carry, the takeaway from this discussion should be we all need to be proficient with the Mozambique Drill and be prepared to use it as the routine response in neutralizing the threat. it is part of my practice IDPA routine, but it is hard to master, especially while moving or on a charging threat.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER
    no problem for this guy:

Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899