Kahr Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CM9 owner ... again

Default New CM9 owner ... again

I owned a CM9 about 3 years ago. It was my first carry pistol and was carried in my right front pocket. The gun was great. Completely reliable although it did break a follower at 500 rounds. Eventually I decided to move to a smaller, lighter 380 for pocket carry so I sold the CM9.

Last summer I decided to work on finding a small 9mm for IWB carry. I'm small, lean, live in a hot climate and generally wear close-fitting clothes so it's difficult to conceal anything of any size. I've found that IWB at 1:30 is my most comfortable carry position but the 9mm Shield that I own is a little too big for that so I began searching for a smaller 9. I'd had a not so great experience with a CW380 so rather than picking up another CM9 I decided to try some other manufacturers.

First up was a Sig P290RS. I really liked how the gun felt in my hand and recoil was mild. It carried perfectly but I could never shoot it well. It has a very long, very heavy DA trigger. It also turned out to be the most unreliable firearm I have ever owned. It went back to Sig 3 times (trigger reset, extraction failure, extraction failure) and after the third trip back to Sig it developed a new problem. Relegated to the sell/trade pile.

Next up was a Beretta Nano. This one, in FDE with a black slide really looked nice and functioned well for the first 400 rounds. On my last outing I put 50 rounds through it and the trigger failed to reset twice. The bigger problem was that it felt really weird in my hand. I never felt like I had a good grip on it. Always felt like it was going to squirt out of my hands while firing. Relegated to the sell/trade pile.

Time for a CM9. Last week Buds had the CM9 for $262 so I decided it was time again. At that price it's hard to go wrong. Right out of the box the gun looked really nice. The polymer frame was clean, no metal shavings, a little packing grease and a little residue from test firing. I cleaned it well including flushing out the striker channel with non-chlorinated brake cleaner. I didn't lock back the slide overnight, didn't rack the slide a bunch of times and didn't polish the feed ramp or chamber before taking it to the range.

Yesterday I slapped a Pearce extension on the magazine and headed to the range. So far so good - 125 rounds (50 Blazer Brass FMJ 124 gr, 50 Spreer Lawman 124 gr and 25 Federal HST 124 gr) fed, fired and ejected perfectly. Feels really good in my hand but I consistently shot left of where I was aiming so obviously I need more time with the trigger and the different sight picture. So far so good!

Last edited by DavidR; 08-19-2017 at 07:38 AM.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Thanks for the review. I am currently looking into a CM9 to replace my LCP as a pocket carry weapon. Been doing my research on the CM9 to make sure its functionality is what I want. Have you tried to pocket carry either this one, or your previous CM9? If so, how does it do?

Default New CM9 owner ... again

I pocket carried my first CM9 for six months. It carries very well in terms of size and weight but certainly not as well as a smaller, lighter 380.

If you're determined to pocket carry a 9, guns like the Shield, LC9s and Glock 43 are significantly bigger than the CM9 so depending on how big you are, they may not be pocketable. IMO the CM9 is the way to go for 9mm pocket carry.

Dave

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    I pocket carried my first CM9 for six months. It carries very well in terms of size and weight but certainly not as well as a smaller, lighter 380.

If you're determined to pocket carry a 9, guns like the Shield, LC9s and Glock 43 are significantly bigger than the CM9 so depending on how big you are, they may not be pocketable. IMO the CM9 is the way to go for 9mm pocket carry.

Dave
    Yeah, I have a Shield 9 and definitely don't like it for pocket carry. The CM9 is the only 9 I would consider for pocket carry.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Yeah, I have a Shield 9 and definitely don't like it for pocket carry. The CM9 is the only 9 I would consider for pocket carry.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    Thanks for the review. I am currently looking into a CM9 to replace my LCP as a pocket carry weapon. Been doing my research on the CM9 to make sure its functionality is what I want. Have you tried to pocket carry either this one, or your previous CM9? If so, how does it do?

Buy the CM9. You'll like it. Pocket carries well in jeans too.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Just got done putting on the talon rubber grip and now it's perfect...I like a flush mag for pocket carry, not to worried about my pinky having somewhere to rest

I'm pocket carrying mine right now lol! It carries great in the pocket. I also carry it iwb as well. Liked it so much that I added a Streamlight TLR6 to it for when I get home late at night. Enjoy your CM9. Here is mine with Talon Grips and the light. Enjoy your new CM9!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your new purchase!I finally purchased a Tungsten Ceracote CM9 a few weeks ago. I've put over 400 rounds through it so far with no issues. I added Lakeline followers to 2 of the magazines. Also added some stick on rubberized grips. I found it to be very accurate and to have light recoil which surprised me for such a small package. I don't notice any real difference with the pearce magazine extension or the slip on grips that it comes with. I was just as accurate with or without either one, although the slip on grips feel really nice. Enjoy your new CM9! I'm loving mine!

I pocket carry my CM9 because work requires I wear dress clothes. No tie but dress pants and tucked in shirt. I looked at and rented all the small 9s before settling on the CM9. I bought it because of the size and the price and have never regretted it. I use a thin sticky holster for the gun and carry a 7 round spare mag in a different pocket. The gun doesn't print and doesn't even create a large bulge in my pocket.

In the world of small 9mm pistols, the Kahr works well for me, not only to carry but to draw and shoot.