Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot get slide off P380 frame. Guide rod sticks out beyond muzzle. Help!

I'm researching and checked out postimage. I think it's actually postimages.org but postimage brings up the sight.

Have to look some more. Hoping it stores my pictures so I can access them from anyplace and post them kind of like that leaky bucket place used to do.
    Wish they were members here, I'd ban them.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the thread Greg. That is precisely the problem I am having. The frame of the gun has become deformed so that the guide rod does not seat properly. In the picture above, my guide rod stops at the tips of the green arrows and will go no further. I imagine I could hit it with a dremel tool as others have, but i would rather keep my warranty intact so I will send back to Kahr. I believe the cause of the problem was the two boxes of Underwood +P 1200 fps ammo I fired last weekend. It packed a noticeable punch even compared to other +P ammo I have fired previously which was closer to 1000 fps (Precision One). Lesson learned.

Cheers,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'm researching and checked out postimage. I think it's actually postimages.org but postimage brings up the sight.

Have to look some more. Hoping it stores my pictures so I can access them from anyplace and post them kind of like that leaky bucket place used to do.
    Wish they were members here, I'd ban them.
    You are correct sir, it is https://postimages.org.
    I will correct my previous post straight away
    regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by XFlyboy View Post
    I believe the cause of the problem was the two boxes of Underwood +P 1200 fps ammo I fired last weekend. It packed a noticeable punch even compared to other +P ammo I have fired previously which was closer to 1000 fps (Precision One). Lesson learned.
    I had just used Underwood XP and XD +P when I developed the problem. They do pack a punch! I carry non +P XD, now. They're still pretty hot. Let us know what Kahr says!
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Default Reporting back

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    I had just used Underwood XP and XD +P when I developed the problem. They do pack a punch! I carry non +P XD, now. They're still pretty hot. Let us know what Kahr says!
    Hi all!

Got my P380 back from Kahr a couple of days ago and wanted to report back my experience to the forum. I should mention that when I sent the gun in, I complained about the guide rod protruding from the frame, but also reported the occasional failures to feed and failures to return to battery even after the 200 round break-in period. Kahr returned the firearm with a Technical Service Work Sheet reporting "Actions Taken: INSPECTED, DEBURRED FRAME, POLISHED EXTRACTOR, TESTED OK."

On close inspection, it looks like they went after the channel in the frame with a dremel tool of some sort similar to what others have reported doing on this site. I haven't been to the range yet, but just dry firing in my home the gun functions normally but I notice that the trigger seems to function much more smoothly. Maybe the techs at Kahr did more than they admitted to on the Work Sheet.

My only question now is when I get back to range, do I continue to fire the +P ammo that I think caused the problem, or stick with the standard ammo? My instinct says that I should continue to challenge the gun and stress it out as much as possible by shooting the +P while it is still under warranty. I should mention that Kahr picked up the tab on shipping both ways so sending it back didn't cost me a dime, just the lack of use of the firearm for a couple of weeks.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

I recently had to deburr my frame like others have done. My concern is just how many times I'm going to need to do this, and more importantly how many more deburrings the frame can take before it becomes unrepairable. BTW I have never used any sort of high-power ammo, just basic practice FMJ and Critical Defense.

I have seen more than one Kahr at the range with the recoil spring installed backwards. Same symptoms usually after the pistol has been field stipped and then fired. Scary looking and everyone thinks they are going to break something. I have never broken the slide or frame pulling with force necessary to remove the slide. Worse case scenario was one of my friends had to buy a new recoil spring that a previous owner shortened. Have no clue why. Read the manual, watch the video, it's easy to out it on backwards.