CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW 380 ammo and prep recommendations

Default CW 380 ammo and prep recommendations

I was going to get an LCP 2, but I came across a site selling the CW 380 and ordered it along with a spare 7 round mag for $262.24 shipped and I figured that was too good a price to pass up and I ordered one about an hour ago.... So now Im looking at the Prep thread by Jocko and wondered if there are any additional things I should perform.

Im also looking to find a good defense load and some bulk ammo for the break in. Im normally not to concerned with range ammo type but since this is a reliability test I want to use one that seems to work well for most to determine if mine is function proper or needs repair

I have read that prefecta is a brand that doesn't cycle well in the cw. How about Winchester White Box and/or American quality. They are both reasonably priced

As for defense ammo how is Hornady critical defense, corbon dpx and speer GD or federal HST? any other suggestions would be appreciated... thanks

Congratulations! IMHO all the hand cycling of the slide in the prep threads is not necessary. I've just cleaned and lubed my new Kahrs and then went out and shot them. For range ammo, you're correct about the perfecta and you can include Fiocchi FMJ into the same category. Some people have modified the extractor and then they can run those two brands. Other than those two, any round nose FMJ should work. Blazer and PMC are a couple of my favs. For defense, critical defense, and any round with the XTP bullet works well. I've 'progressed' to the Underwood load of Lehigh's Critical Defender. It's not my EDC, but it is one of my favorite guns to shoot at the range!
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Congratulations. You made a great choice.

If you follow the advice in the prep thread, you should be fine. Don't forget to get your free magazine from Kahr via this link:

http://www.kahr.com/MagPromo2017.asp

For range ammo, follow Kahr's recommendation of using domestic made ammo. I've read reports that WWB doesn't work well in some Kahr 380s, but mine did fine with it.

Hornady Critical Defense is a defense round that seems to work fine in most Kahr 380s. My CW380s ran fine with any ammo I fed them except Perfecta. There's fixes for that as well on this forum.

Keep your new 380 clean and well lubed - here's a Kahr lube diagram in case you don't run across it anywhere else:

I agree 100% with Topgun's post. Good advice....,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    Congratulations! IMHO all the hand cycling of the slide in the prep threads is not necessary. I've just cleaned and lubed my new Kahrs and then went out and shot them. For range ammo, you're correct about the perfecta and you can include Fiocchi FMJ into the same category. Some people have modified the extractor and then they can run those two brands. Other than those two, any round nose FMJ should work. Blazer and PMC are a couple of my favs. For defense, critical defense, and any round with the XTP bullet works well. I've 'progressed' to the Underwood load of Lehigh's Critical Defender. It's not my EDC, but it is one of my favorite guns to shoot at the range!
    Thanks, Im not too big on the idea of modifying the extractor if I don't have too, I would prefer to just use a different round.

I like the results of the DT 95 grain controlled expansion and the speer gold dot. (its close enough to 12 inches from the tests I have seen) I guess my question is since these pistols have a rep of being finicky with certain tyes of ammo, what is the choices for ones that have been proven to function reliably in the CW380?

Thanks... You just saved me $30

hope you get a runner... havent shot mine in about 2 yrs but never could get it dialed in therefore never carried it... looking forward to a good range report..
    RIP Muggsy

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDaze View Post
    hope you get a runner... havent shot mine in about 2 yrs but never could get it dialed in therefore never carried it... looking forward to a good range report..
    As with most 380s I know the reviews on the CW380 are a mixed bag so I hope to give a good report, if not, then Kahr is going to be the one doing the tinkering until it works... Im not going to both pay for their product then fix their problems too

Quote Originally Posted by brycewise View Post
    I was going to get an LCP 2, but I came across a site selling the CW 380 and ordered it along with a spare 7 round mag for $262.24 shipped and I figured that was too good a price to pass up and I ordered one about an hour ago.... So now Im looking at the Prep thread by Jocko and wondered if there are any additional things I should perform.

Im also looking to find a good defense load and some bulk ammo for the break in. Im normally not to concerned with range ammo type but since this is a reliability test I want to use one that seems to work well for most to determine if mine is function proper or needs repair

I have read that prefecta is a brand that doesn't cycle well in the cw. How about Winchester White Box and/or American quality. They are both reasonably priced

As for defense ammo how is Hornady critical defense, corbon dpx and speer GD or federal HST? any other suggestions would be appreciated... thanks
    Shot a whole bunch of federal American Eagle the other day with no issues for break in.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Quote Originally Posted by brycewise View Post
    As with most 380s I know the reviews on the CW380 are a mixed bag so I hope to give a good report, if not, then Kahr is going to be the one doing the tinkering until it works... Im not going to both pay for their product then fix their problems too
    I usually would agree with you concerning self modifications on my firearms, but seeing the mod video and actually finding it really did not require the complete disassembly of the upper, it took less than 10 minutes to modify the extractor to fire all types of ammo. I felt it was the lesser of the evils of sending the firearm back to Kahr and them maybe fixing it, and if worse came to worse...$16 for a new extractor.

let me rephrase my above post as i remember i did get it almost 100% a couple years ago and havent shot it since... i did the extractor mod before it was a sticky and i was going to do a write up and never came back....til now, anyhow i did a lot of work to this gun, no biggie its just a mechanical device easy to work on but super small parts
    RIP Muggsy