CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CW 380 ammo and prep recommendations

Bottom line: don't screw with it at all until you've run a couple hundred rounds through it. You may have a pistol that runs 100% out of the box. If it doesn't then you can start looking into either fluff n' buff fixes or warranty repair.

I just bought a CW380, sight unseen.
    I field stripped it, and checked a couple of different types of ammo, to see how they would slide under the extractor, and even Fiocchi seemed ok. It appears that the bottom edge of the extractor is beveled, but, I wanted to round off the bottom corner, for more reliable feeding, but, even though I can get the striker pushed down, I can't seem to budge the pin, behind the exratctor, to slide the back plate down.
    Just for kicks, I put some Fiocchi in a mag, locked the slide back, inserted the mag, and was happy to find that it would feed every time.
    Yesterday, with the wind chill, it was about -50, but, tomorrow, the temperature is SUPPOSED to go up to the 20s, so I'm planning on taking it out to the range and trying Fiocchi, Winchester, Remington, and Hornady Critical Defense

There is a plunger that needs to be pushed down to relieve pressure on the plate. This video shows it.

https://youtu.be/mi3VFRll2L4

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
    There is a plunger that needs to be pushed down to relieve pressure on the plate. This video shows it.

https://youtu.be/mi3VFRll2L4
    Thanks for the link
    I tried a 1/16" pin punch, and about the smallest jeweler's screwdriver made but couldn't budge it.
    I'll have to look at it tomorrow, with a magnifying glass. Maybe i wasn't pushing on the exact spot.

The pin is deceiving and is actually smaller than the hole indicates by about half. The small jewelers screw driver should do it if you get it in the right spot. You'll be able to feel it depress easily, if not you still hitting the plate.
    If it's the first time that has come off it can be less then cooperative, you might need your third hand to kind of pry gently down on it to get it started.
    Once it moves a bit your pretty much home free. Keep the back covered so the spring doesn't go into orbit. Once you've done it a time or two, it's easy.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    The pin is deceiving and is actually smaller than the hole indicates by about half. The small jewelers screw driver should do it if you get it in the right spot. You'll be able to feel it depress easily, if not you still hitting the plate.
    If it's the first time that has come off it can be less then cooperative, you might need your third hand to kind of pry gently down on it to get it started.
    Once it moves a bit your pretty much home free. Keep the back covered so the spring doesn't go into orbit. Once you've done it a time or two, it's easy.
    With a flashlight in my mouth, and a magnifier on my head, I saw that I apparently was trying to push on the back plate.
    Once I pushed down on the proper place, it was a piece of cake.
    I can see how someone could get frustrated, putting it back together.
    I know a lot of guys that are afraid to take apart a 1911. I'm thinking a Kahr would give them a heart attack.

Yep - I struggled with mine until my wife found me a teeny, tiny screwdriver. Was simple after that.

Glad it worked out.

muggsy: Let's face it, being shot by a .380 will ruin anyone's day.

I made it out to the range today.
    Apparently, the couple of Fiocchi I tried earlier must have had thinner rims, because I had to push the slide in to battery through most of the two mags full I tried.
    I also tried Winchester white box, UMC, Remington HST, Hornady with 90 grain XTP bullets, Hornady Critical Defense, and some handloads I had laying around.
    I had one Critical Defense that didn't want to feed. I think I need to get some Magguts because the slide didn't want to lock back.
    Even though all ammo would keep them in the "head" of an IDPA target at 10 yards, The Hornady, with 90 grain XTP bullets put all 6 in one ragged hole.
    I can't believe how soft this pistol shoots. I'm thinking that my M&P .380 Bodyguard might be going down the road.