Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning CM frame

Default Cleaning CM frame

I'm coming up on 2,000 rounds through my CM9 and am wondering how everyone cleans their frame. I had someone tell me to spray CLR into it and let it drip dry but seems like it would leave a lot of lube inside.

Thoughts on CLR or a better way to clean all the little pieces inside the frame?

You must mean CLP. Yup - too oily.

Most cleanings for me involve some Q-tips and some 91% Isopropyl alcohol, but if the gun is really dirty after a long range session, or if it's been a while since it got a thorough cleaning, I'll hose it down with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner and blow it dry with the air gun from my compressor. Gotta re-lube all the pivot points afterwards...

If the idea of using non-chlorinated brake cleaner makes you nervous, you can use the synthetic safe version of Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber - it just costs 5X as much per can.

Frames pretty simple on a Kahr, not too many nooks and crannies. I just use any kind of cleaner and Q tips, I use the good ones on a wood stick.
    An artist paint brush to slather some cleaner into the hard to reach points, blow things out with the compressor.

Frame generally don't get all that dirty, at least mine don't.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I am a clean freak with all of my machines. My CM gets cleaned and oiled after each range trip. Shure stays purty. 4 years and lots of rounds without a single glitch. I use brake cleaner, Hoppe's cleaner and q-tips.

Some guns I'll completely disassemble and clean each part individually. I like it. But a more reasonable approach is to get something like Birchwood Casey's Gun Scrubber. Douche it out thoroughly, and then lubricate sparingly with something like ALG Go-Juice. Put a paper towel under the gun before you give it the power douche, and you'll be shocked by all the particles of dirt that get hosed out of your gun.

Good catch on the CLP - can't even blame auto correct. Hope no one tries to use CLR on their gun.

I have recently switched from Gun Scrubber to the green can of CRC Brakleen, non chlorinated brake cleaner from WalMart. Does a great job, does not harm the poly frame or the metal parts at all. Cost is less than 1/3 of Gun Scrubber. Another excellent product is Slip 2000. It is a cleaner and lubricant, but I still like using the CRC first as a cleaner.

I use hoppes bore cleaner, then lube with ballistol. I used the green brakleen on my makarov im in the process of prepping for duracoat. It is great, but be sure to use it outside, gave me a terrible headache.

Quote Originally Posted by JethrosDad View Post
    I use hoppes bore cleaner, then lube with ballistol. I used the green brakleen on my makarov im in the process of prepping for duracoat. It is great, but be sure to use it outside, gave me a terrible headache.
    " be sure to use it outside, gave me a terrible headache">>> ​Outside is a must for this product.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    " be sure to use it outside, gave me a terrible headache">>> ​Outside is a must for this product.
    I dunno - I kinda like the smell.

It hasn't given me dain bramage yet.