Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unintentional double tap?

Default unintentional double tap?

I was shooting yesterday..texted a friend to come on by. He showed up without his ears so we had to switch off using mine. While I was outside in the car, he was shooting my K40 for the first time and I heard him hit a double tap.

When I came in, he was counting holes in the target and looked concerned. He said the double-tap was unintentional, that he shot and the next shot 'went off by itself'. I was highly skeptical but didn't say so.. usually in these situations, it's a 404 User Error and not the gun, especially with people who don't shoot very often.

I tried for 50 rounds, limping, one handed, holding it in my mouth, using my tongue to pull the trigger, telekinesis..everything, but could not reproduce his magic-tap.

Funny thing, all the bullets he shot were on target that round so I think he was already back down on target and just not used to the butter trigger. He normally shoots an M&P 9mm.. so I'm thinking it was just him being askeerd of the .40 round and over anticipating.

Has anyone had or heard of an unintentional double tap??

Can someone move this thread to the right section? Also, I seem to have wanted to post it 2x. I am new to things the nature of obvious things..like seeing/ reading clearly posted section descriptions..
    Last edited by Monadnock; 03-16-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: im dumb

I've never before heard of such an event with a Kahr pistol, but I'm loath to say it could never happen. However, I think it would take a "perfect storm" series of events for a mechanical double tap to occur in a Kahr pistol.
    Beyond that (and as your friend said it did happen), I would at least give the pistol a detailed cleaning/inspection. That would most definitely include detail stripping the slide, paying particular attention to the striker channel and striker parts.
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Has anyone had or heard of an unintentional double tap??
    Unintentional double taps are more common in pistols with triggers that reset very quickly and have a very short pull after reset, such as the Walther PPQ. I've done it a few times with a PPQ and a HK mainly because I shoot from reset, but these guns reset in about 1/8" movement. Personally I don't think it's likely someone could get an unintentional double tap with a Kahr due to the long reset and pull. Kahrs are the slowest guns to shoot of any auto I've ever owned. Double tab I believe... it's the unintentional part I'd doubt.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

possibly caused by the reset and trigger being different than what hes use to, and when the first shot went bang, the recoil caused his reflexes to pull the trigger unexpectedly for the 2nd shot. (if that made any sense) Noone could ever know what really happened, and we could speculate for days, but I doubt like ripley16 and gb6491 said, that it was an 'unintentional' double tap.

It is possible but very doubtful that there is any mechanical issue with the pistol. As others have mentioned, most likely an operator malfunction.
    NRA Benefactor

I have a glock that did that, scary for sure, so fast it was hard to identify.
    So I purposely held the trigger back and it would still do it.
    When I took it apart I found a burr on the trigger bar, stone it off, and it hasn't doubled since.

I never carried it after that, and it's now just a range gun
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

I was shooting My P45 and my G30S yesterday at the range. I kept getting early shots as I tried to stage the Kahr P45 trigger. I finally just started smooth full strokes... or jerks. The P45 has the easiest pull of any of my Kahrs.

What I was getting at, is that trying to quickly stage the trigger gets me a "double" once in a while... surprising, but usually hits the cardboard, if not high on the letter-sized target. I actually had one that hit another hole in the bullseye from the preceding shot!

I was having lots of feed problems after a while and checked the screw holding the slide lock release spring. It keeps loosening... doesn't seem to be stripped, but I might have to try a little some non-red thread lock. I really tightened that thing as much as I dared... just to see if it was stripped, but it did seem to stop turning.

I shot some 230-grain Winchester Ranger T and the Underwood +P 230-grain Gold Dots. I had a new Lone Wolf ported barrel for the G30S to try out and it helped, but those +P Underwoods were still brutal. I had a Band-Aid on my trigger finger for the Glock and put a flight glove on because of the "pain" from the recoil. The P45 seemed to be easier to shoot than the Glock.

I got some videos and need to go through those for stills of flashes and recoil.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Good information. I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun. I just think it was lack of experience in shooting .40 and general nubness in shooting. I don't think he was trying to time the reset but more just didn't have a hold of it and then over compensated with grip to reacquire site. 300 rounds and no duplication so far..more ammo coming tomorrow ;D blew through it all faster than expected.