Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ct 380 failure to extract

  1. #1

    Default Ct 380 failure to extract

    I purchased the pistol new and first time out it will not extract any type of ammo. I did break it down and cleaned the slide with brake cleaner non carbonated and re lubed it properly. I racked the slide about 100 times before the first firing.

    I used Remington and PMC ammo and some of my reloads and no matter which brand I use, all of the rounds fail to extract. This pistol will not get through the first round. The magazine locks back properly. I tried loading one single round in the magazine and it also fails to extract. I took the recoil spring apart and looks to be properly installed.

    I had a CW380 with me during the same range session that has performed flawless and it shot all of the same ammo that the CT380 would not extract. I did take the CT380 slide apart and clean it in the range house and it still failed to extract. It has never cycled at all.

    I compared the CT380 barrel lug and chamber with the CW380 and it looks much the same and has a high polish.

    I am going to compare the extractor from the CW380 with the CT380 and see if I can see any difference under magnification.

    We have 5 other Kahr pistols and non have failed to extract. Some have failed to feed, but that is after the pistols are fairly dirty after a long range session.

    Any ideas???
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near the Gila Mountains in SW AZ.
    Posts
    4,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    I purchased the pistol new and first time out it will not extract any type of ammo. I did break it down and cleaned the slide with brake cleaner non carbonated and re lubed it properly. I racked the slide about 100 times before the first firing.

    I used Remington and PMC ammo and some of my reloads and no matter which brand I use, all of the rounds fail to extract. This pistol will not get through the first round. The magazine locks back properly. I tried loading one single round in the magazine and it also fails to extract. I took the recoil spring apart and looks to be properly installed.

    I had a CW380 with me during the same range session that has performed flawless and it shot all of the same ammo that the CT380 would not extract. I did take the CT380 slide apart and clean it in the range house and it still failed to extract. It has never cycled at all.

    I compared the CT380 barrel lug and chamber with the CW380 and it looks much the same and has a high polish.

    I am going to compare the extractor from the CW380 with the CT380 and see if I can see any difference under magnification.

    We have 5 other Kahr pistols and non have failed to extract. Some have failed to feed, but that is after the pistols are fairly dirty after a long range session.

    Any ideas???
    Thanks.
    Welcome to the forums!

    Sorry to hear you are having an issue with your new CT380.

    Some thoughts on that:
    Did you try the CT380 magazine in your CW380? I mention that on the chance the CT magazine is causing the pistol to push feed rounds ahead of the extractor.
    Have you tried sliding a round up under the extractor on both your CT380 and CW380 to compare how well each holds it?
    As you write "I am going to compare the extractor from the CW380 with the CT380 and see if I can see any difference under magnification", I'd be tempted to swap the extractors for a range session to see if the issue could be narrowed down definitively to the extractor.
    When you pull the extractors for comparison make sure to check the extractor tunnel in the CT slide for any abnormalities. Check the striker block as well, as it does come into contact with parts of the extractor system.
    I'd also compare how rounds fit and their ease of removal in each pistol's barrel.

    I think if you can determine that a removable part of the extractor system is bad or the magazine is at fault, the chances would be in your favor of Kahr sending you the replacement part. Otherwise I suspect the CT380 will need a trip back to them to fix the issue.

    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

  3. #3

    Default

    Greg,

    Here is what I found. I looked at the engaged extractors. They look the same as to how they engage the dummy round.When I leave the magazine in the CT380 it is hard to eject the dummy round. Take the magazine out and it ejects normally. Kahr pistols usually have the small gap under the magazine and the butt of the pistol.....this magazine does not it is nearly flush. In order to get the slide to lock back, I have hold the butt on my knee and push down in the magazine end and the slide will lock back. The CT380 magazine works and the slide locks back in the CW380 without holding it down on my knee.

    When I try to sling shot the CT380 magazine it hangs up every time and I have to push the back of the slide to get the round to chamber. When I took the same larger magazine and when I sling shot it in to the smaller CW380 it works fine. Same mag different results.

    Have you heard of this before?? Thank you for the help!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Near the Gila Mountains in SW AZ.
    Posts
    4,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    Greg,

    Here is what I found. I looked at the engaged extractors. They look the same as to how they engage the dummy round.When I leave the magazine in the CT380 it is hard to eject the dummy round. Take the magazine out and it ejects normally. Kahr pistols usually have the small gap under the magazine and the butt of the pistol.....this magazine does not it is nearly flush. In order to get the slide to lock back, I have hold the butt on my knee and push down in the magazine end and the slide will lock back. The CT380 magazine works and the slide locks back in the CW380 without holding it down on my knee.

    When I try to sling shot the CT380 magazine it hangs up every time and I have to push the back of the slide to get the round to chamber. When I took the same larger magazine and when I sling shot it in to the smaller CW380 it works fine. Same mag different results.

    Have you heard of this before?? Thank you for the help!!!
    I haven't heard of this before in a Kahr pistol, but from what you describe, I think I would give the CT's magazine release/catch/latch a look. Perhaps it was not machined correctly or has a burr/damage to the shelf that makes it hold the magazine too high for the pistol to function correctly.

    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas
    Posts
    3,158

    Default

    Luckily I haven't had any such problems with my 3 CT380 mags, but Greg knows his stuff.

    Seems like a lot of Kahr problems have gravitated to improper magazine functioning. Aren't they made in Italy?
    "My God, Woodrow. It has been quite a party, ain't it?"

  6. #6

    Default

    Yesterday, I did receive a package from Kahr but I did not open it until now. It was the free magazine with purchase for the CT380. The new mag locks back perfect. The original mag does not lock back unless you put pressure on the bottom. When I put them on bottom end on a table next to each other the new
    magazine is 1/8 inch taller than the original. I am glad I had the other magazine to compare or this would be a shot in the dark.

    Thanks for the help Greg.

  7. #7

    Default

    I did check the release and it appears to be fine. I compared it the the CW380 and my PM9.....looks the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I haven't heard of this before in a Kahr pistol, but from what you describe, I think I would give the CT's magazine release/catch/latch a look. Perhaps it was not machined correctly or has a burr/damage to the shelf that makes it hold the magazine too high for the pistol to function correctly.

    Regards,
    Greg

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Round Rock, Texas
    Posts
    3,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    Yesterday, I did receive a package from Kahr but I did not open it until now. It was the free magazine with purchase for the CT380. The new mag locks back perfect. The original mag does not lock back unless you put pressure on the bottom. When I put them on bottom end on a table next to each other the new
    magazine is 1/8 inch taller than the original. I am glad I had the other magazine to compare or this would be a shot in the dark.

    Thanks for the help Greg.
    Wow, 1/8" difference? There's no excuse for that. you should notify Kahr & show them a comparison picture before sending the short mag back for a free replacement.
    "My God, Woodrow. It has been quite a party, ain't it?"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    121

    Default

    I agree with armybrat. Thats unacceptable. could you post a picture of the two magazines, Id like to see em side by side. Glad you figured out what the problem is though!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop   Xssights