Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Ready for the Range

Default Ready for the Range

It's been hectic here: we just moved into our new Forever Home and now we're trying shrug off Hurricane Harvey. We're OK, but a lot of folks down here are in really bad shape. Yesterday evening I did manage enough time to clean my new PM 45. She's ready for the range. I have 250 rds. of 230 gr hardballs to run - I hope that will be enough to break her in. After break in period, I plan on picking out a good defense round to use. Last time I tried to find a good SD round for a particular gun it cost me about $700 in ammo and range fees.

Hoping to minimize that cost, I'm asking you knowledgeable folks here: What Self Defense Ammo works best in your Kahr PM 45?

Thanks in advance,
    Big Cape

Sorry to hear that Big Cape, thought and prayers for all the folks down there. The pictures are horrific but I know nothing like being there in person.

I think you will find that there are about as many favorite SD rounds as there are people with guns. I don't have a .45 but in all my 9mms and my makarov I use hornady critical defence and never had 1 single issue. My dad also uses critical defence in his .38 and .45 long colt. Never had an issue either.

I've got Federal HST's in mine now, ran Winchester and started out with Speer Gold Dot. All worked fine for me.
    Haven't ran across anything it doesn't like yet but I haven't tried too many.
    Only thing I can see if you might be having so much fun you might want more ammo.

My first outing with my PM45 I went through 350, course my son shot quite a bit too so maybe if your not sharing 250 might be enough.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."