Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights

Thread: Kahr K9: The Kahr I've Always Wanted! (1st Range Report)

Default Kahr K9: The Kahr I've Always Wanted! (1st Range Report)

It took me many Kahrs and many more years to finally get the one that I really wanted...

I always held off on buying a new K9 -- not that I really saw all that many for sale -- and the few that I did see for sale as used were all black, while I wanted a classic stainless K9. I figured I'd find one at a good price some day...

Well, that day has finally arrived! As I found this little-used 1999-vintage K9 in great shape the other day, and as the price was only $350 with 2 mags -- I just had to have it!

This is THE KAHR that I've always wanted... The original K9.

Not counting the P- and CW380's that I've had (and since sold), my history with Kahr includes:
    * Starting off with a used PM9 (but that was later sold to my now son-in-law)
    * Moved up to a used P40 Covert (which proved to be a little "too snappy" for me)
    * And then I found a nice used P9 Covert, which I've had for many years.

I liked the extra length & weight of the Covert model versus the smaller PM9, and whenever I get together with my SIL to shoot, I always shoot the Covert better than his PM9. He does too, actually, but as he's skinnier than me, he really likes the smaller PM9 package.

Still, there was a hole in my "Kahr collection" -- and this K9 has finally filled it!

It shot great today at the range, as this 12-yard group will show. Double-taps were faster than with the P9 Covert, although that's my perception only, as I don't have a timer. I had damaged my wrists many years ago, and while the K9 is admittedly heavier to carry, it is much more pleasant to shoot for me - and it groups better for me too.

So far, I haven't really noticed the longer "NYPD Trigger" pull when actually shooting it, although I can feel it and see it when comparing it against the P9 Covert while at the bench. The K9's pull is very, very smooth -- it is easily the best Kahr trigger I've ever had.

I just ordered a 5# Wolff spring to install, as I'd done that upgrade to the PM9 and Covert too, and I'll get that done soon. But my initial thoughts are I won't even bother replacing the trigger parts with the "Elite" versions, as I seem to be shooting this one so well already.

All in all, I am really liking this all-steel K9. Sure, it's heavier to carry than a polymer Kahr, but I'm finding that I like the extra weight when handling and shooting it -- and that's what counts after all.

Now I just need to decide on the fate of my faithful factory-made P9 Covert.............

But this one is a Keeper!!!

Tight groups.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Nice! If that's representative of the price on used K9s, maybe I should start looking for a replacement for the one I stupidly sold.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

The same shop had a used MK9 (shorter grip) and it was $175 more! My thinking is this shop -- and maybe others?? -- was discounting the "old fashioned" all-steel single-stack Kahr just to move it... But I am glad they did!

Good luck on your search.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

My "old" K9 is the handgun that I carry everyday and trust my life to. Enjoy yours!

It (K9) must be the same gun as the MK9, just larger. Should be a keeper for people that want a full size 9mm. Maybe you should look into "wood grips" to decorate it up. I have the MK9 with Kahr's wood grips and it really looks good..

Congratulations! Wishing you many years of enjoying that beautiful pistol.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...