Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey i have a crazy thought....has anyone blackened their MK?

Default Hey i have a crazy thought....has anyone blackened their MK?

Well after speaking a while back to my local gunsmith about some work he was doing for me...he was telling me about some stainless backening he was preparing to do on some brand new Smith revolvers....it got me thinking of my recent purchase if my like new MK40 elite 03 .....i absolutely love it and i find myself carrying it most often....but after hearing about this stainless blackening.....i am very interested in getting a set of factory checkered grips and blacken this.....has anyone done this?.....cost to me us quite reasonable and i have not seen anyone near me who has done this....i would love some feedback too....thanks in.advance ....God Bless,John
    What i would love to do is make this look similar to my favorite gun....my west german Sig P220 with my nill grips ....

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

There are many "blackening" kits on the market. Go forward slowly as some are easy to use and some that are difficult. You may or may not get the results that you are looking for. There are many reads on the interweb about these products and their results. Personally, I would also want some type of protection along with the color. I have a "Birdsong" MK, and it's held up very well. 6+ years of everyday carry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not for me, I would never consider turning my MK9-03 elite BLACK. It would never be the same gun, in my opinion. It's value would also go down.

Well this is not a coating i am told....it actually changes the color of the stainless....and i was hoping it would not make the gun less valuable....

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    There are many "blackening" kits on the market. Go forward slowly as some are easy to use and some that are difficult. You may or may not get the results that you are looking for. There are many reads on the interweb about these products and their results. Personally, I would also want some type of protection along with the color. I have a "Birdsong" MK, and it's held up very well. 6+ years of everyday carry.
    That is a beauty

My opinion only, if you want a black gun, buy a black gun. There are hundreds to choose from. I have several factory black guns.

Quote Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
    Well this is not a coating i am told....it actually changes the color of the stainless....and i was hoping it would not make the gun less valuable....

20 or 30 years from now if you store the gun in perfect condition with the box and hang tags versus changing the color might make a slight difference.
    Until then I doubt it would make much difference. It actually might be more appealing to some and less appealing to others.
    I doubt your using this gun as a 401K program and didn't buy it as an investment.
    That being said I'd do what you want to do to make it your own and pleasing to your eye.

Just my small opinion not worth the cyber space it took to write this.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well i do not think you are understanding what i am talking about....there is chemical ways of blackening metals....it is not a coating....it alters the metal like bluing...but it makes it like finish on a Sig Sauer or others....i personally have yet to see it in person....i have seen it done on watch parts....

Can you find an example picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    20 or 30 years from now if you store the gun in perfect condition with the box and hang tags versus changing the color might make a slight difference.
    Until then I doubt it would make much difference. It actually might be more appealing to some and less appealing to others.
    I doubt your using this gun as a 401K program and didn't buy it as an investment.
    That being said I'd do what you want to do to make it your own and pleasing to your eye.

Just my small opinion not worth the cyber space it took to write this.
    I'm completely on board with that!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>