Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop

Thread: What just happened?

Default What just happened?

Doing some recreational target shooting today with my CM9 and decided to try an aiming method I had seen on YouTube. You point your index finger at the target, resting it along the frame, and pull the trigger with your middle finger. I fired twice (one-handed), and on what should have been the third shot the trigger didn't reset. I racked the slide, ejected a cartridge, and fired twice more. Once again, on the third shot the trigger didn't reset, and a cartridge ejected when I racked the slide. I was shooting Blazer Brass 115 gr. FMJ.

Would this have been caused by limp-wristing with the one-handed grip, or something else? Thoughts?

High Plains Drifter, stuck in a Lowland swamp called California

Are you right or left handed?
    23 years in a Federal Penitentiary, 6x8 double bunked rooms with toilets

I'm not really sure why you would want to do that...but to each his own.

To get to the original question my best guess would be riding the slide with that free index finger preventing slide movement.
    Kahr MK9, Kahr CW9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 17, Remington RM380, Sarsilmaz B6PC

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

I thought about trying that one time. I would say index finger riding the slide maybe?

I could never shoot my cm9 like that because my index finger would be about even with the end of the barrel. Might put an end to my pointing with it period. Of course my hands are on the large side.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

i used to spray piaint from an airless like that when i needed that extra confidence booster for detailed shots.... its a joke, psychological at best.... would never try it with a gun.. Muscle memory and all that jazz out the window, no thanks..
    RIP Muggsy

Thanks for the responses.

FWIW, I'm right handed. I posted this same question on another forum and the consensus seems to be either limp-wristing or the index finger slowing the movement of the slide. I won't be using this method again, but at least now I know it's not for me. Several people wondered why I would do it, but sometimes you just have to try different ideas. I practice shooting one-handed, with both strong and weak hands. In an emergency you might need a "unique" way to handle a problem.

Just because something is on YouTube, doesn't make it a real thing. Shoot normal.

I learned many years ago the "tea cup" method of shooting a side arm. Worked for me and I've used it ever since. When I was in the military and the "combat grip" was introduced to me I tried and it never felt right to me. Being as I didn't have the rank at first I had to conform. Later on, when I did have the rank, I used the tea cup. Many instructors tried to change me but when they checked the target they all conceded to do what I was do.

Still shoot the same way I was taught many years ago, but I still practice one hand strong and weak. Long story short, do what works for you. Don't worry about the latest and greatest grip. No problem in trying something new, but if it doesn't work go back to the tried and true for you.