Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock Gen 5 bait and switch?

Default Glock Gen 5 bait and switch?

Let me preface this by saying that I am definitely no expect and I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge than me can enlighten me on this subject.

With all the hoopla surrounding the Gen 5 release, one thing in particular is really got me scratching my head because it seems to be going unreported....For years I've heard from Glock fan boys locally and online espousing how superior polygonal rifling is compared to traditional land and groove. They say that it is more accurate, has better velocity, and was handed down to Gaston Glock by God himself. Conspicuously absent from all the reviews is that Glock has ditched polygonal rifling in Gen 5 and gone back to land and groove saying that it is more accurate, faster, ect.

It appears as if everything old is new again. I can't wait to see how the die hard Glock fans react to going back to conventional rifling.

So what are your thoughts, is this whole rifling thing a bait and switch by Glock?
    Kahr MK9, Kahr CW9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 17, Remington RM380, Sarsilmaz B6PC

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

I don't see it as a good thing myself. Other changes other than the barrel which I don't really care about. I never thought polygonal was that superior to a rifled barrel in the first place especially in a 3-5" barrel.
    On the plus side it will handle lead which is getting more and more non PC at ranges so not that big a plus anyhow.

I hate to see the changes overall. Right now most all parts interchange across the board except the 42 and 43 which I'm not terribly fond of either.
    Now one will have to be far more careful when needing replacement parts.

Fortunately at least so far they are only messing with the 9. So my 21's at work are still safe and hopefully I'll get more before they cross over into other calibers.

It's like when VW quit making the Bug and came out with other cars, things went down hill. The new bug while kind of cute I'm told isn't that great.
    They had a good thing going.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Is it only me or does the gen 5 look really more like Gen 1B. Like jethrosdad said everything old is new again.
    Didnt they go from a 3 pin frame back to 2 pins again with this new Gen 1B?
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Yup, that's one of the changes, 2 pins instead of 3.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

yeah, I think the Gen 5 is a hard pass for me.

Not left handed so I don't need an ambi slide release, don't mind the finger grooves on my Gen 4, and cant see any benefit of getting the Gen 5.

I really like my gen 4. Great home defense gun because the cost of aftermarket parts is so cheap.

A set of night sights, a good flashlight, and 18 rounds of Hornady critical duty.
    Kahr MK9, Kahr CW9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 17, Remington RM380, Sarsilmaz B6PC

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Glocks are made for carpenters.....after all nothing more than a block. Perhaps they would also be good to pound nails in with..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I thought about Glocks decision with the barrel also. I also wonder about the decision CZ made with the P10 to not have their inside rail design that for years has been their trademark and claim to fame. That also was to cause better accuracy for their firearms as with the polygonal barrel was for every other firearm on earth....except now for Glock.

I had no idea Glock was now doing Gen 5. Hadn't even quite head bothered with the fact there was a Gen 4 yet.

I have two Glocks...a Gen 2 G23 and an earliest G27. Both are good reliable and accurate. But have no interest at all in buying new(er)/more.

I find my G23 in particular a pleasure to shoot. Only double stack I've small hands ever felt really comfortable with.

Fact be, though, Glocks are essentially appliance guns. Any quality rifling/barrel is more than perfectly adequate. Add to that...most of these guns end up in the hands of professional amateurs and polygonal rifling leads like a b****.
    NRA Benefactor

ouch to much hate for my love..

what goes around comes around, history repeats..

they probably just wanted to be different on the barrel, as bawanna said outstanding for lead reloads but not as much people casting as there used to be or maybe there is, ?? dunno... This glock is more like Gen 2 with pins, no grooves...

Changes thay i see... ambi stop, flared beveled mag well, florescent follower, belveled slide at muzzle, blacker slide finish (suppose to be better than tennifer *cough*), more factory sight options, barrel.. thats about all i can tell...

only sig and glock made it past the 2k round mark with no malfunctions but sig got the contract... gen 5 is suppose to be more durable as well and able to outlast 20k rounds with zero issues... funny i thought they all did that, ive never had one single problem with any glock i own and i have a decent amount... in fact my 26 has well over 20k rounds and i haven't replaced anything not even return spring... still going like all my glock hammers...

glock in the most indestructable firearm on the planet, nuff said and i digress...

just wished they could still use teniffer and if this new finish actually is better than tennifer I think i will at least pick up a g17....

but i still need a 29.... but im happy with gen3, finger grooves dont bother me a bit...
    RIP Muggsy

bawanna btw Ive been a big fan of aircooled dubs for many many years... have had a lot and restored a notch and bus..... currently have a 69 ghia vert all orginal....
    the smell alone is nostalgic...
    RIP Muggsy