Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW9 Finicky Mag Release

Default CW9 Finicky Mag Release

I apologize f this has been answered elsewhere; I did a search and
    was unable to find anything.

My CW9 (bought used a couple of months ago) has a finicky mag release.
    Doesn't seem to make any difference full/empty, - two different Kahr 7-rd.
    Release button is hard to depress & subsequent release is hit & miss.

'Don't believe it's dirty or lube issue. What should I look for?

Does it move freely with no magazine involved?

It's possible it has a burr or deformation that is interfering where it meets the mag cutout.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Does it move freely with no magazine involved?

It's possible it has a burr or deformation that is interfering where it meets the mag cutout.
    Bawanna,

After considerable fiddling with it (just now,with your question in mind) it seems to
    depend more on how far I have to depress the release. If I take care to use my thumbnail
    rather than the pad it works a lot more consistently. I reckon I'll just have to get used to
    it.

Thanks!

Sounds like it might have a bit more protrusion into the mag contact point than it needs. Either too much material left when it was machined or a burr or something.

Have you removed it so you can examine it closely. I believe it comes out pretty much like a glock. A little rod just needs to be flipped out of the notch and the release will push out. A person could even stone or file off just a bit and test fit now and then. Being careful of course to make sure you still have a good positive connection so the mag don't go walk about.

Some have added a little dab of material on the button so you have more to push on eliminating the need for the thumbnail trick. That might solve your issue as well.

Wish I was Greg, I'd post some pictures of that area but I don't have that natural talent.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I had the same problem with my CM9, plus mags wouldn't drop free reliably; my fix was having my LGS drill/tap the mag release and install a 8/32 flat head screw which increased the release button height by .060; while release was removed, .05 was taken off the shoulder that engages the mag. I also polished the snot out of all my mags w/1000 grit paper and Flitz. mags are secure (no release button/holster interference) for EDC/competition and drop like they were shot when released.

at the very least try lubing the release spring w/ a silicone spray soaked Q-tip and hit the release slot in the mags w/1000 grit paper.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

Aww, that's one of the fixes I recalled. I'm cancelling my regular Ahlzeimers test. I'll keep the Dementia one, two different things I'm told, can't remember the difference though.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

My CM9 had the same issue when new. Had to really push hard on the mag release button and hold it in until the mag was about half way out.

I saw bugs's fix - which I was about to do - when I noticed some sharp edges on the mag release where it engages the slot in the mag.

It's a MIM part, and they probably don't pay too much attention to it at the factory when they assemble the gun.

A few passes with a tiny wire wheel on my dremel smoothed it out nicely, and fixed the problem. It probably would have corrected itself through use eventually...

My new CW9 takes a firm push. I'm thinking it will get easier the more I use it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try removing the thumb and get my m
    Last edited by Equifan; 09-12-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: DIDN'T COMPLETE

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll try removing the thumb release and get my mY magnifying glass out for a closer look.