Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today was the day!

Default Today was the day!

On this date in 1968 I arrived at RTC Great Lakes for navy boot camp. It was unknowingly, only the beginning of a 20 year tour. A great deal of pain, a truck load of fun, and a bunch of great friends and got to know some of the best sailors in the navy that I am proud to call "Shipmates". From a training squadron in Meridian, Miss that I hated so much I terminated shore duty and volunteered to be a door gunner in Vietnam, 6 cruises on various aircraft carriers (USS Ticonderoga/ USS Ranger / USS Constellation / USS Carl Vinson, to retirement at the best base in Naval Aviation... NAS Whidbey Island, WA. Was it all worth it?.....no doubt! NONE at all.

Thank you for your service!

So, seeing you are a Sailor, would that mark7mod0 be in reference to something from your naval career?

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Know a few friends that were stationed at Whidbey. Spent considerable time on the island myself, not on the base but surrounding area.

Loved roaming around Fort Casey and still do from time to time although I don't roam quite as much due to limited transportation issues.

And again thanks for your service. Hit's a little closer now that I have a Marine son. Been home for a few weeks, one more to go and then he's off to Kuwait.

Mom isn't fond of the idea.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Thank you for your service!

So, seeing you are a Sailor, would that mark7mod0 be in reference to something from your naval career?

Regards,
    Greg
    You are correct sir....it is in reference to the ejection seat cartridges of the MK-5 Martin Baker ejection seat in a F4-J Phantom aircraft. I was an AME in the navy responsible for ejection seat maintenance, cockpit and special equipment air conditioning, liquid oxygen and survival gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Know a few friends that were stationed at Whidbey. Spent considerable time on the island myself, not on the base but surrounding area.

Loved roaming around Fort Casey and still do from time to time although I don't roam quite as much due to limited transportation issues.

And again thanks for your service. Hit's a little closer now that I have a Marine son. Been home for a few weeks, one more to go and then he's off to Kuwait.

Mom isn't fond of the idea.
    Ft Casey is a great place to just relax and enjoy the views. I lived up by Deception Pass on Cranberry Lake. Thank your son for his service. Has to be nerve racking to be a parent of a combat patrol military member. All the best to him.

I met my wife at a sailboat race in Oak Harbor. Even though we are in a different part of the state now, when a big, loud offshore boat roars past we still call it the "sound of freedom" from the sign along the road at NAS Whidbey.

Thanks for your service and having another northwestern member.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

I just missed you at Great Lakes by about...oh, say 12 years! Ended up doing almost 26 years myself. I can't remember the exact date my enlistment started though I know it was either the 11th or 12th of Aug, 1982. Can't say I miss anything about Great Mistakes though they did teach me how to boil water!

Joined Uncle Sam's Canoe Club on April 1st, 1977. Kept telling them I was just fooling, never worked. Not a lifer, only 8.5 years for me. Was supposed to get out after 8, but was in a bad motor cycle wreck and had to stay an extra six months to heal up.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonse View Post
    I met my wife at a sailboat race in Oak Harbor. Even though we are in a different part of the state now, when a big, loud offshore boat roars past we still call it the "sound of freedom" from the sign along the road at NAS Whidbey.

Thanks for your service and having another northwestern member.
    Unfortunately the Political Correctness police had a hand in removing the sign outside the base........ "Excuse our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" sign is gone. Maybe someday it will return.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    Unfortunately the Political Correctness police had a hand in removing the sign outside the base........ "Excuse our Noise, It's the Sound of Freedom" sign is gone. Maybe someday it will return.
    That's too bad. The A6s they used to fly out of there (maybe they still have some EA6s, I don't know) did make some noise taking off! That sign used to make me smile every time I saw it. You're in a beautiful spot.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...