Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: Upgraded My K9's "NYPD" Trigger to "Elite" Status

Default Upgraded My K9's "NYPD" Trigger to "Elite" Status

Well, the folks who said the trigger pin was a "nasty bugger" to get out were right...

Luckily, by switching to a larger ballpeen hammer and also clamping the K9's frame to my bench block and the edge of the workbench (to avoid any "bounce effect", and also so I could hold the punch better), I successfully got that pin out -- and back in -- to upgrade my K9's trigger.

While I had the K9 all apart, I replaced the striker spring with a 5# one from Wolff, as I'd already cleaned out the striker channel a week ago (when it turns out a retailer had sent me the wrong spring).

The dashed box on this image shows the 3 parts that I replaced to eliminate the 1/8" longer throw of the NYPD trigger-- the trigger itself, the spring and the spacer. I couldn't really see (by eye) any differences in the last 2 parts, but oh well; I think in total the upgrade only cost $25 or so -- AND a few choice words too! Sometimes it takes some extra "verbal lubrication" $&%@#* !! And I am sure I would have used much "more" if I'd scratched the K9's frame, but luckily I didn't...

Now, not only is the K9's trigger equal to that of my son-in-law's PM9 or my P9 Covert -- I think it's even better!

I will say this though, getting the new spacer and spring correctly positioned in the hollow back of the Elite Trigger -- while trying to start the original and VERY TIGHT pin in from the left side, while holding a slightly undersized pin in from the right side, sure did take a few attempts to accomplish (and yes, some "verbal lubrication" was used here too...)

All in all, I am really happy with the outcome of this upgrade... Kahr's Elite Triggers rock!!!

Tight groups.

Old No7
    Last edited by Old No7; 05-27-2019 at 01:49 PM.
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Your a brave man dude. I don't think I'd even attempt it myself. I've torn apart some tough guns, some I even successfully got back together, sawed off the corner of a few 1911's to bobtail them, that takes some nerve building before you break out the hack saw too.

But taking the trigger out of a Kahr. I don't know that I could build myself up for that.

Well done. How did you deal with that little hidden keep pin that holds the trigger pin in, you get that out? Must have or you would have tore out the left side of the frame.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    How did you deal with that little hidden keep pin that holds the trigger pin in, you get that out? Must have or you would have tore out the left side of the frame...
    Gee, I sure hope you're pulling my leg on that one!!!

I think that's where most of the "verbal lubrication" and the BIGGER Hammer was used....................

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

Oh my bad. Your working on a K, I was thinking Tupperware. There is a pin on all the polymer guns.

I don't know what's in the K or MK. Like I said I'm not ready to boldly go there any time soon. Must be ok.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just what trigger did you buy part number wise? There are a few on the trigger section to choose from. Did you get a picture of the trigger difference side by side shot? That would be an interesting shot. Thanks

Congrats on the new DIY trigger job. My K9 elite trigger was done by Kahr... so my hat's off to you for the effort. It's a nice change IMHO that is worth the effort and money.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.