Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: Well has anyone ever tried changing the mag release?

Default Well has anyone ever tried changing the mag release?

Well i know some 1911 parts interchange with some parts....has anyone ever tried this with a mag release?
    Thanks in advance
    God Bless,John

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

I haven't but it just might work. If I have time I'll try it tonight. I know they both work very similar far as removal etc.
    Perhaps Greg is about, I'm sure he would probably already know. I never thought about it before.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
    Well i know some 1911 parts interchange with some parts....has anyone ever tried this with a mag release?
    Thanks in advance
    God Bless,John

It's been done: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...ock-on-a-MK-40

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I knew you'd know. In fact I did one of them Hex Key mag locks. Can't remember what I put it on, and I think at the time I tried it on the Kahr too. So I'm thinking it works.

I'll reschedule that Ahlzeimers test if I can remember where I put the number...........
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well i did the hex key screw....i am looking to change the entire mag release mine seems to fit odd and i think it will be easier to change it and was hoping it might be a 1911 part and that would make life easier to find one....if not...i will just order a nee one from kahr....
    Thank u all for the help....if anyone who has the parts try it...that would be a God Send....God Bless,John

Quote Originally Posted by jringo8769 View Post
    Well i did the hex key screw....i am looking to change the entire mag release mine seems to fit odd and i think it will be easier to change it and was hoping it might be a 1911 part and that would make life easier to find one....if not...i will just order a nee one from kahr....
    Thank u all for the help....if anyone who has the parts try it...that would be a God Send....God Bless,John

My apologies, I completely misread your post. It maybe possible to find a 1911 mag latch that could be reworked to fit in a steel frame Kahr, but I don't think it worth the effort. Here's a shot of three 1911 latches I have in my parts box compared to the latch from my MK9.

None of the 1911 latches will fit all the way in my MK9. The reason for that is the "tail" on the lock side of the 1911 latch is too long for the cut in the MK9 frame. Even if the tail was reshaped for to the Kahr frame (I believe this possible), I don't think the shelf that latches the magazine in place will engage correctly (I guess the shelf on a 1911 latch could be welded up and reshaped).

FWIW, the Kahr latch can be installed in a 1911, but it would not lock in the magazines I tried with it.

Regards,
    Greg

Sorry for leading you astray as well Bawanna....you can cancel that test...or sign me up for one
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    My apologies, I completely misread your post. It maybe possible to find a 1911 mag latch that could be reworked to fit in a steel frame Kahr, but I don't think it worth the effort. Here's a shot of three 1911 latches I have in my parts box compared to the latch from my MK9.

None of the 1911 latches will fit all the way in my MK9. The reason for that is the "tail" on the lock side of the 1911 latch is too long for the cut in the MK9 frame. Even if the tail was reshaped for to the Kahr frame (I believe this possible), I don't think the shelf that latches the magazine in place will engage correctly (I guess the shelf on a 1911 latch could be welded up and reshaped).

FWIW, the Kahr latch can be installed in a 1911, but it would not lock in the magazines I tried with it.

Regards,
    Greg

Sorry for leading you astray as well Bawanna....you can cancel that test...or sign me up for one
    Well thank u and no apology needed...u were more than helpful....truly appreciate it....God Bless,John...
    I will get a new one from Kahr