Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Primer Strikes, FTF

Default Light Primer Strikes, FTF

I've run over 800 rounds through my CW45 and had no problems until the last two times I shot it. Now I get consistent light primer strikes and the last time also several failures to feed..
    This is my winter EDC but now I can't trust it. I haven't contacted Kahr yet. Anybody have similar issues, or any suggestions?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRS View Post
    I've run over 800 rounds through my CW45 and had no problems until the last two times I shot it. Now I get consistent light primer strikes and the last time also several failures to feed..
    This is my winter EDC but now I can't trust it. I haven't contacted Kahr yet. Anybody have similar issues, or any suggestions?

Please be a little more specific about the failures to feed.

Have you changed from the type/make of ammo you were using previously?

Have you disassembled the slide and cleaned the striker components and slide?

Light strikes could be related to the FTF, possibly being caused by the slide not being completely into battery. It might be time for a new recoil spring.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

No, same ammo. Perfecta, which some people may not like but I've always had good results in the 45 and my 9mm's. If I pick up the round and re fire it will go the second time. The light strikes started first, then the failures to feed. It only failed to feed a couple times but the light strikes are consistent. I haven't disassembled the slide but I always spray cleaner in the striker access hole when I clean the gun.

The recoil spring is my first theory. It does seem like it has gotten very easy to rack the slide. Kahr's are known for being very tight, and mine was but now it's very easy to rack. This started at the time as the failures. I thought it was just getting well broken in but then the problems started.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRS View Post

I've just experienced the same thing with my CW45 but mine only has about 400 rounds of various brands of ammo through it. After the last range visit, I meticulously cleaned the slide and striker components. Hard to believe that I need a new recoil spring at this time but may change it (along with contacting Kahr) if I continue to have the same problem. Unfortunately, due to my schedule, I will not be able to make it to the range for about three weeks.

I have a pm9 and have never had an issue. But, when I asked Kahr about when to change the recoil spring on a carry gun I was told 1,200 rounds.

I still use my old springs most of the time at the range and all is good. I don't know about the CW45, it may be totally different.

Good Luck

First thing is to remove the striker, clean everything meticulously, and reassemble dry.

I contacted Kahr and they said it was probably the recoil spring. So I ordered the new spring and got it yesterday. The only issue i had was that the shipping was almost twice as much as the spring, but oh well. The new spring out of the box is an inch or more longer than the old one. Kahr said that's normal because the new spring has never been compressed. I could barely get the gun back together because of the tension of the new spring. I hope to get out this weekend to test it out.

Just a FYI you can also buy recoil springs from Midway: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/99...r-cw45-k40-p45

Next time you can find some other stuff to buy as well and save money on shipping.

Well, two weeks ago I put fifty rounds through it and it ran flawlessly. Today I put another fifty through and had two light primer strikes and one ftf. I was hoping to get a hundred rounds flawlessly but I guess that's not too bad.

I've had bad luck with perfecta ammo not feeding right in my CW40. kept getting double feeds. Switched to better known big name brands and the "problem" went away... The light strike issue. I suggest getting a can of Birchwood Casey gun scrubber & stick the red tube in the channel clean out hole under the slide near the firing pin & flush it out until clean. It's possible there may be a build up of oil & carbon in the firing pin channel.