Xssights   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop

Thread: Maxxtech .380 ammo reliability in CW380?

Default Maxxtech .380 ammo reliability in CW380?

Is the Maxxtech .380 ammo reliable in a P380/CW380? Its by far the cheapest ammo I can find on the net right now, around 24 cents per round on Cheaper Than Dirt when you factor in shipping cost.
    I dont want to make my Fiocchi mistake again.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I shot several hundred rounds for normal break-in of my new Kahr cm380. Rounds included Blazer aluminum case, Remington ball, Winchester ball, Remington Extreme Defense, Hornady CD, zero failures. Cleaned it well. Got the 100 rd. Maxxtech can for qualifying. Joked it was probably made from old Russian mines. Well, had failed to feeds on almost every round. Had to get out box of Winchester hp, which it cycled perfectly. Felt compelled to write about this stuff.

I meant CW380. A new burnt bronze cerakote version. Tried 3 different magazines. Seemed to be a return to battery problem rather than failed to feed now that I think of it more.

I happen to have a box of that on hand, was going to use it to break in my cw380, so I thought what the hell, let's load up a mag and see what happen....well what do you know, nothing...it's like I am trying to load the wrong caliber, it won't even go into battery dropping the slide with the slide release...tried a bunch of times, no bueno...

i also have honaday critical defense on hand, loaded up a mag and bam...goes right into battery...

Just bought a box of said ammo from Bass Pro shops and it would not go into battery. I got a micrometer out and compared it with some Blazer I had and the casings were nearly 2 thousandths larger. No wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB51 View Post
    Just bought a box of said ammo from Bass Pro shops and it would not go into battery. I got a micrometer out and compared it with some Blazer I had and the casings were nearly 2 thousandths larger. No wonder.
    I managed to get 5 rounds of that garbage during my first range trip, but it was so frustrating, I ended up giving the ammo to the range officer...glad I only bought 50 rounds of it...

more importanly, hornaday, Winchester white box and federal hst all worked great, stick with USA made ammo and you should be fine

Yeah it was a last minute buy, kinda new better at the time. Know for next time

There is a lot of variation in the dimensions of many brands of .380 ammo out there, which is partly why so many .380 pistols often have feeding fits. Either they're not adhering to SAAMI specs or the specs themselves are too generous.