Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CM9 slide sticking at halfway point going back to battery.

Default New CM9 slide sticking at halfway point going back to battery.

Hello all,

I'm new to Kahr pistols and this is my second after buying a CW380 a few weeks ago. I've found tons of great info here and am happy to report that gun is now 100% with a little TLC and range time.

Unfortunately my experience with the CM9 has been a bit more troublesome.

I picked up this gun from my FFL/Range this week and put 60rds through it on the spot.

The first 6rds were perfect and from there I experienced a strange failure to return to battery in about 90% of my shots. I could not get another full magazine to run without this stoppage (6rd magazine and 7rd extended regardless).

Essentially while returning to battery the slide would stop about halfway.

I could overcome this by smacking the slide a bit and it returned to battery.

Initial loading was done by releasing the slide stop (as prescribed in manual) and it would also stop at this same halfway point about 50% of the time.

Ammo used was Blazer Brass 115gr as well as Hornady Critical Defense 115gr. I found the same behavior with both rounds even though the have varying OALs.

I got the gun home expecting to find an issue perhaps with the recoil spring or guide rod being out of alignment.

Breaking the gun down however I did not find that to be the problem and instead found a few things on my barrel that seemed out of the norm.

I've linked below to pictures, however I can explain that the barrel hood appears to have a shelf on the top front that does not look to be symmetrical and has a jagged edge I noticed as my cleaning cloth was ripped a bit when wiping it down.

The back right edge on the top of the hood also has gouges that are quite sharp as well as the bottom of the feed ramp.

I noticed these spots were shiny and seemed to be interfacing with the slide at these points.

Here's another thing to note; I reassembled/disassembled the gun a number of times and found that this behavior still occurs when racking the slide by hand (no magazine inserted). I am able to get it to close back into battery by pulling the slide rearward a few times and it feels like it's jumping a ledge when it returns to battery.

TL;DR
    Slide is getting stuck halfway when returning to battery. Does this barrel appear to be in spec, or is this perhaps a known behavior I've yet to successfully locate in my forum searches?

Imgur gallery:

https://imgur.com/a/unTyu

I really appreciate the time and support. If nothing else I'll feel better getting in touch with Kahr for repair knowing I have more than just my own limited knowledge opinion.

Thanks y'all!

It looks to me like the barrel is peening a bit. We don't hear of this much lately. I had a K40 that did very similar. They ended up replacing the top end.

I'd sure send those pictures, maybe even a better one especially of the top of the hood where that little ridge is.

The feed ramp looks like it might be a bit long and is smacking the magazine. If it is peening as I suspect hopefully the new barrel feed ramp will be better.

Keep us posted.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for your reply!

I've uploaded a few more photos of the barrel to the above gallery (with my best camera phone abilities).

https://imgur.com/a/unTyu

I also added a pic of the inside of the slide where it does appear that the edge has rolled over a bit. I can drag my finger nail over the edge and get caught pretty well.

I checked my mags for deformations or marks and they seem okay, but your guess is the best explanation I can imagine.

Sounds like my best course of action would be to get on the phone with Kahr and see about sending it in. I'm thinking the barrel may have been a bit out of spec and created this beveled edge with the slide and that's where it's hanging up.

Thanks again for your time!

Those new pictures 5 and up convince me even more that it's peening. Send them via email to Kahr Customer Service.
    Pretty sure they'll want it back and get you fixed up proper.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Others have given you good advice. Your pistol definitely needs to go back to Kahr to be made right.

My CM9 had fit and finish issues that bothered me, and had a squeaky and scratchy trigger. I found that to be annoying, but I was able to fix those issues myself. Chalked them up to cost cutting measures, and I did get it for a sweet deal.

Your problems are unacceptable for a firearm of any price. Kahr needs to get a handle on their QC. If that firearm was test fired, it shouldn't have left the factory.

Thanks for the guidance.

I sent out an email to service at Kahr and provided this info and image links.

Not sure if they are open on Sundays, but I'll reply here again once I know more.

Cheers!

the surface of the barrel looks funny for being nickel plated (grainy like) I don't remember that on my CM9; just for grins during cleaning, got a wild hair and did the barrel/hood/ ramp with 1000 grit paper then Flitzed it. always ran good before, now runs good and shines to boot. now I just Flitz the barrel/hood about every 500/600 rounds.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

Quick update on this process.

I sent off an email to service Sunday, got a reply this morning asking to fill out the online RMA form.

I actually did that Friday 9/30/17 before starting this thread.

Got on the phone with Kahr and was told to keep shooting the gun until after the 200rd break in period. (I'm actually not sure that would be safe to do in all honesty, or at least futile/expensive.)

I let them know that my barrel shows some pretty bad peening and they told me to go ahead and fill out the RMA form, and that since I had already, I'd just need to wait for that to process.

Trying to stay positive and hopefully will have a well working gun here in the near future.

I've heard they can be sticklers about that 200 round count. I guess by then the peening will be really obvious.

I wouldn't think it's dangerous to fire. The chamber seems fine?

Chamber does seem fine.

The peening itself has actually started to crack at one corner where the impact seems greatest.

Although I'd rather not single fire while slapping the back of the slide after each shot, my concern would be if the peening increases to the point where it eventually sheers off a piece of barrel or permanently damages the slide.