Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New CM9 Three Months In

Default New CM9 Three Months In

Hi. I shopped around for a pocket 9 and made up my mind after considering all the reviews, and was especially convinced by what Hickock45 had to say about it.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=hick...e&ie=UTF-8

My luck was on the upswing because Kahr was bringing the updated models on the market (fancy sights), and a local shop was able to get me a discontinued one for just $320. It showed up new, in box with all the wrapping intact. They took a trade-in of an old Baretta 21A mouse gun for a credit of $75, as well. 20 minutes later, background check completed, and no carry license required in VT, I walked out with it.

Initial inspection: Everything looked perfect except for a barely noticeable nick on the top of the slide which didn't bother me a bit. Maybe it's a defect in the machining.

I fed it Winchester 115gr white box ball and 147gr jhp. At around #75, the slide failed to lock back when the magazine emptied. That was the lone failure through the first 350 rounds.

Extra capacity mag:From the outset, I had wanted an extra capacity magazine. The place that sold me the Kahr said they ordered one for me, but I never heard back from them. This is the typical kind of customer service that they are reputed for. I did find a 7 round mag in another shop which they admitted had been in their stock for over a decade. It fit and appeared to be exactly the right pattern, but the finish on the metal looked very different from the mag supplied with the gun. And the price was cheap. They promised to take it back if I had any problems with it. ....and I did. There were 2 nosedives in the first 25 rounds. I'd seen enough. I brought it back and they traded me a standard 6 round mag for it. Another couple of hundred rounds (mostly Blazer Brass 115gr ball) later, and absolutely no hiccups, I am one very pleased and secure-feeling concealed carrier!
    Overall: I like the lines, and think the stainless slide and black receiver make it an attractive piece. No need to feel embarrassed by it at the range. I like the feel of it drawing from my cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster, the fit and "rightness" of it in my hand, and putting it on target. i love the sights, and having let more experienced shooters try it out, I know that it's more accurate than I am. It pretty much disappears in the front pocket of everything except my Levis. Oh, and I love the DAO trigger. They put a lot of thought and top-notch materials and design into this gun.
    Racking it is still very stiff, but that has to be expected, and is not a bother to me. I thought that the grip was a tad slippery, so I tried out putting a short piece of scrap bicycle tire tube (mountain bike size) over the grip and think it's much improved, especially if I'm sweaty. I think I'll leave it on.
    Last edited by antifa; 07-24-2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Looks like crap

I must be one of the lucky ones regarding functioning 7rd. mags; I had been shooting four 7rd. mags in my CM9 from the start, w/o feeding issues in practice and IDPA matches, until IDPA reduced the BUG box size. one 7rd. mag will still fit IWB or pocket carry w/o any issues and one 7rd. mag w/Lakeline +1 baseplate on the belt. 6rd. mags w/reduced pinky hook are now used for practice/matches only. after 6000 rds. racking is very stiff also. (good spring).

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

The age of the magazine is probably a factor of its lousy performance. There's no telling how it may have been mishandled, or if the specs changed ever so slightly. A factory fresh clip might have worked perfectly.

The spring orientation of the magazine may have been a factor along with limp wristing. Also 115 gr. is a bit light for break in. A few factors that cause nose diving of the round.

I have a Bersa 22. Very finicky gun. Need High Pressure ammo. But also the installation of the recoil spring, I found out to be very important. I found out the gun performed much better if the flanged end was inserted toward the top as you are loading it. Also the rear as well. Have no idea if this is one reason I have not had any problems so far with the Kahr, but it is shooting fine. I have alway's for years advocated that I believe a huge majority of problems with pocket Pistols in particular is "LIMP WRISTING". Especially among first time and inexperienced shooters. Indeed, I have been to the range numerous times and come across a shooter having problems with malfunctions, only to take the gun and it shoot fine. Even to the day, I have to be careful when I have shot many rounds through a pocket gun and start to get tired. If I get a malfunction, either time to start to refocus or go home.

Hey, thanks everybody. I considered my grip as a potential factor. Both my grip and the ammo worked perfectly with the short stack mag. The only variable was the magazine, and it,scared the hell out of me. Put the other 6 rounder in and it works perfectly with the same ammo and my usual solid grip.
    I'm convinced it's that particular magazine.
    I really appreciate your thoughtful suggestions! This is a great community.

Update:
    I've been pocket holster carrying my CM9 every day, almost all day. Today I took it to the range after carrying it for about a month, without inspecting it or cleaning it, or making sure that the cartridges were lined up right in the magazine. Pulling it out, I could see pocket lint stuck to it, especially in the trigger mechanism. Since it's summer, and it's been secreted in my pocket, exposed to sweat and the elements, I was pretty doubtful that it would chamber and fire after the first round.*
    Wouldn't you know it, it sent the whole magazine, and every one after that down range with perfect reliability.
    Good to know! After all that jostling in my pocket, etc, every bullet went to battery like a champ.*

Bonus - my buddy brought along 3 Colts: a 1911 10mm, a 1911 45, and an AR15. The 10mm has a 5 inch barrel, and I learned how much difference a little extra sight radius can make with accuracy.
    Fun day at the range!

I am unsure how I feel about someone with the name "ANTIFA" posting in a firearm forum. I'd be equally uneasy about "KLANSMAN" or "ISISFAN".

I hope you're being facetious.

Quote Originally Posted by MMyers1970 View Post
    I am unsure how I feel about someone with the name "ANTIFA" posting in a firearm forum. I'd be equally uneasy about "KLANSMAN" or "ISISFAN".

I hope you're being facetious.
    I had the same reaction. Maybe his real name is something mundane and boring like Eric Clanton or Yvette Felarca.

I've got a CM9 that runs like a top too. I have the original 6 rounder, an additional 6 rounder I bought on GunBroker for $1, and 2 8 round mags. They all run great.

I would have kept that old 7 rounder. Kahr magazine problems are usually pretty easy and cheap to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    The spring orientation of the magazine may have been a factor along with limp wristing. Also 115 gr. is a bit light for break in. A few factors that cause nose diving of the round.
    I used 124 gr. Nato to break mine in. It has worked perfectly for three years!
    Tony