Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Kahr MK9!

Default First Kahr MK9!

Hey everyone!
    So, I recently got my first MK9 (part of a trade on ArmsList) and it is one heck of a gun! I took possession of it with wood grips already installed and night sights on, as well. Everything looked spotless until I noticed ONE little dent/mark right on the front of the mag well right where your pinky lands (viewable from the front of the gun, but minor). The mark is maybe 2mm deep (just deep enough to feel it with a fingernail) and about 1cm wide. It could be from hitting a metal edge at a range, or even a pinky ring for all I know.

My question is, with this being such a well made gun, do I worry about getting the mark fixed? Or do I live with it and figure it was bound to happen sometime? If I get it fixed, can I do it myself?

I plan on carrying this gun and will carry it regularly, and if my Glocks tell me anything about carry-wear my Kahr will be full of marks in a years time, so does this mark even matter? It just bothers me getting something in "like-new" condition and then seeing a mark that I missed when I looked it over when making the trade, especially since it's not a mark I made.

Let me know what everyone thinks! I will post a picture when I am off from work to clarify where the mark is and what it looks like.

I'd probably just touch it up with a stone to minimize it. Just enough that you can't feel it while shootingl

Have you shot it yet? Sounds sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by tony k View Post
    I'd probably just touch it up with a stone to minimize it. Just enough that you can't feel it while shootingl

Have you shot it yet? Sounds sweet.
    Okay, sounds good. Any specific stone? I was thinking of using some automotive sandpaper, since it’s so soft on metal, but got nervous.

And no, haven’t shot it yet! Picked it up last night.

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot it, enjoy it, as it will as stated receive many marks in the future. As the owner of an MK myself, you made a good decision on a firearm. Don't let a tiny mark ruin your day. I use a Pachmayr grip sleeve, so it wouldn't bother me. I have used Armslist on more than one occasion and have no complaints besides the usual fools that ruin it for others, but you do take a chance, especially if your trade was sight unseen. This is also another reason to really look over a firearm before taking possession.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Shoot it, enjoy it, as it will as stated receive many marks in the future. As the owner of an MK myself, you made a good decision on a firearm. Don't let a tiny mark ruin your day. I use a Pachmayr grip sleeve, so it wouldn't bother me. I have used Armslist on more than one occasion and have no complaints besides the usual fools that ruin it for others, but you do take a chance, especially if your trade was sight unseen. This is also another reason to really look over a firearm before taking possession.
    Thank you for your insight on this situation! I’m just weird about certain marks, but yes, you are very right! This is a good lesson in REALLY looking firearms over instead of getting lost in the excitement.

I'm waiting for pictures myself. Often times a little bead blasting will fix things right up nicely. Greg has done this several times although he's more gifted than most.
    That's also the beauty of the MK over any Tupperware. You can fix it up like new.
    To me there's no excuse for carrying an ugly gun. Some like it as a sign of manhood or being an operator or something but I see it as just a case of abuse and neglect.

Of course Tupperware doesn't show scratches and dings quite as readily but if they do it's much more difficult to restore, not impossible, but more challenging.

In the immortal words of ol Jocko (he's still alive) shoot it like you stole it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by btrochtenberg View Post
    Hey everyone!
    So, I recently got my first MK9 (part of a trade on ArmsList) and it is one heck of a gun! I took possession of it with wood grips already installed and night sights on, as well. Everything looked spotless until I noticed ONE little dent/mark right on the front of the mag well right where your pinky lands (viewable from the front of the gun, but minor). The mark is maybe 2mm deep (just deep enough to feel it with a fingernail) and about 1cm wide. It could be from hitting a metal edge at a range, or even a pinky ring for all I know.

My question is, with this being such a well made gun, do I worry about getting the mark fixed? Or do I live with it and figure it was bound to happen sometime? If I get it fixed, can I do it myself?

I plan on carrying this gun and will carry it regularly, and if my Glocks tell me anything about carry-wear my Kahr will be full of marks in a years time, so does this mark even matter? It just bothers me getting something in "like-new" condition and then seeing a mark that I missed when I looked it over when making the trade, especially since it's not a mark I made.

Let me know what everyone thinks! I will post a picture when I am off from work to clarify where the mark is and what it looks like.
    Welcome to the forums and congrats on the MK9

I'd like to see a photo of the mark on it, before giving advice in regards to it.

I do have some thoughts about cosmetic repairs in general:
    If it bothers me I'll general repair it.
    That said, sometimes it's best to leave things alone. I'm just coming to grips with that.... a little bit.

Bead blasted stainless:
    I find it's the easiest to get pleasing results on, but I'm of the opinion that unless you have access to an abrasive/bead blaster and glass bead, it will be difficult to blend any repair to the existing finish on the rest of the project.
    Even with a blaster you might have trouble getting an exact match. In those cases I just blast everything
    I've had almost OK results mimicking the results from a blaster by holding various grade of sandpaper above the repaired area and tapping the paper against the surface with a tool.
    I've tried blending in the repair with steel wool/scotchbrite pad/etc. I've not been satisfied with the results unless it was on an area that I could isolate that finish on and it looked good in comparison to the rest of the project.
    Removing a dent/gouge should be done with a rigid tool or sand paper with a backing block. This results in the repaired area being larger than the damaged area. If you don't do it this way, the results are usually a noticeable dip/divot /low spot.
    Some dents/gouges have material above the surface of the material they are in, this material can be knocked down with a file/hone/stone or rigid backed sand paper. This quite often makes a dent/gouge less noticeable once the area is refinished.
    Personally, I leave that material intact as I've had good luck repairing small dents/gouges with a hammer. I lightly peen the area, moving material to fill the fill/cover the damage. Afterwards, this might require a little dressing with a stone/file/sand paper/hone, but I find it is less intrusive than removing material to remove the dent/gouge.
    Here's a repair I did on my MK9:

Regards,
    Greg

Edit: thanks for the plug Bawanna
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

If it is reliable and accurate like mine, just enjoy it.

Congrats, they are great pistols. I have an MK40N built in 2008 that I bought NIB in 2011. They are amazingly accurate for such a small gun. I carry mine a lot if my clothing can support the weight. If not, it's the PM9 or CM45.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the wonderful replies today and welcoming me as a new member to the forums.

Here is a picture of the ding in question! Thank you for everyone’s patience, I just got home from work.