Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights

Thread: Different grain ammo

Default Different grain ammo

Hi. So I have always read people saying things like "such and such gun preferred 124gr to 115gr" or "short barrelled pistols may prefer ?gr ammunition" in relation to accuracy. My question is this. Have any of you experienced much of a difference from one grain fmj to another? If so, what kind of a difference?

Owners that don't shoot a lot probably don't experience much of a difference between one type/gr. ammo or another. Owners that do shoot frequently and shoot more than one firearm frequently definitely notice a difference. I notice it in accuracy. The higher gr. ammo is more accurate for me, and the more expensive carry ammo is even better. An example is that I mostly shoot .40 cal. and some 9mm. The largest difference I have seen is between Blazer brass and American Eagle or Federal. The later are much more accurate than the Blazer. Same goes for the 9mm. I am definitely no bullseye shooter, but after 40+ years of shooting, I do see a difference. I don't shoot Blazer any more because of this, and you can find comparatively priced ammo from other makers. I also try and shoot 124 gr. or 147 gr. versus 115 gr. in 9mm. In .40, I shoot 155 gr., 165 gr. and 180 gr. but I notice more difference in the 9mm versus .40. I also never use anything but brass cased ammo, and I never use reloads.(my thing)

147 gr and 150 gr Federal HST have excellent test reports on Youtube.

I see. I recently bought a cm9 and my first time shooting it I shot 100 RDS of 124gr Remington fmj. I was kind of concerned with my accuracy as while I loved everything else about the gun I felt I just wasn't grouping well. A week later I bought another box of the same ammo and had similar results. A week after that I bought a box of federal 115gr fmj and immediately noticed a great improvement. Even when I started shooting faster my groups were better than with the Remington 124gr during slow fire. Granted, it may just be that I am getting used to the trigger or small frame but it was a significant difference. I own several handguns and have shot very often but have never noticed such difference from one ammo to another. Really I believe I'm just getting used to the gun but it has never taken me so long to do so in the past. Next I will try another brand of 124gr to practice with as I do prefer federal 124 gr standard pressure hst for carry.

Quote Originally Posted by CPTKILLER View Post
    147 gr and 150 gr Federal HST have excellent test reports on Youtube.
    I use the 147 Federal HST and find it to be a good round for my CM9 and PM9.