Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1500 rounds and first problem since breakin.

Default 1500 rounds and first problem since breakin.

Last time at the range my CW380 failed to lock open on final round a few times. I checked and the stop was not being pushed all the way into the slot. The mag spring is now only about an inch longer than the mag. I bent the front of the top loop of the spring up and it cured the problem. I have two mags and they both stay loaded all of the time with carry ammo, about 21 months of sitting. Since I use both at the range they have no more than 150 cycles on them. Seems to me like it is awfully soon for them to fail. Piss poor performance in my opinion. Magguts on order. People here seem to think a lot of them so hopefully their springs will last longer. The extra rounds will be good to.

I also feel like the mag springs kahr uses suck...I have the magguts in my cw380, and it’s way better than oem...I just wish they made the kit for the cm9

All three OEM mags I had were unable to lock the slide open after being left fully loaded for a few weeks. MagGuts kits cured that along with a few other ills.

Friends don't let friends run OEM springs and followers in Kahr .380 mags.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    Friends don't let friends run OEM springs and followers in Kahr .380 mags.
    ^^^ this!

Salty

I think I went over the 1000 round mark this weekend and it seems like the mag follower barely activates the slide stop anymore.

I ordered magguts for both my mags last night.

Wow, my P380 an RAxxxx purchased in 2010 has close to 5,000 through it with 6 mags that have the original OEM springs. It runs problem free. Four mags are the original design and two are the newer style.

Wonder if there was a bad batch of springs out there for awhile? I don't know anything about the 380's but DJK's experience would seem to be the norm or it has been until now.
    It's my understanding that all Kahr springs are Wolff so they should be good. I don't know if an outside company produces the magazines. Maybe they tried to cut corners and used a different spring?

I've never owned any gun that was temperamental about recoil springs. Except for my old High Power I've never needed to replace one. I have on a couple just for insurance but they never balked or misbehaved.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I can't explain why my pistol has gone through springs like it has. The MagGuts springs are still holding up fine after several years, but like I said the OEM mag springs lasted only a few weeks. And then the recoil springs keep crapping out so soon... I also replaced the striker spring once which wasn't too bad but I was trying to troubleshoot light primer strikes. That was a year ago and the replacement spring is now noticeably weaker. I had bought two replacements, and my fresh unused one is a lot longer and stronger than the first. As soon as I install it the slide moves back when pulling the trigger, meaning I need to replace the recoil springs yet again! I don't know if it's due to the way I shoot this pistol (I regularly do quick double-taps) or what.

FWIW, I always heard that cycles are what weakens springs; my CM9 has 6500/7000 cycles during its' practice / competition life time, so far on the original factory recoil & 6/7 rd.mag springs, and still preforms robustly. perhaps the springs for the .380s are under powered from the factory and Kahr needs to increase the spring rates during manufacture.

just say'n, based on my CM9 experience.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

Dust, as an experiment, one could cut a 9mm spring and give it try in a 380 mag. It slides in just fine. Modify the end to seat under the follower. Cut the coils to fit in the mag so it will cycle then trim one coil at a time. Hell maybe I'll try it!