Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tight .45 chamber

Unless you are a professional gunsmith, better not take a drill to your barrel chamber. I can guarantee that it will not end well for you.

JG I don't believe is a pro gunsmith but he's got serious talent. I've seen some of his work and he could make a go of that gunsmithing.

Agreed taking a drill to your barrel chamber is not for the faint of heart.
    BUT it does sound like it just needs to be squared up, maybe not even throated too much.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    Just crimp them a little more if you are a reloader. If you only shoot factory ammo, don't buy any more of the brand that wont seat all the way. Buy the ones that fit. It's an ammo problem, not a fault of the gun.
    LOL,

I own 7 .45 1911's all with tight match grade chambers / barrels from Bar Sto, Wilson, Briley, etc, 1 Mech Tech .45 coversion unit for a 1911, a 625 S&W .45 acp revolver.
    The guy who has this Kahr pistol owns 2 Glock .45's, a .45 Mech Tech conversion unit, a 1911 .45 and some others.
    What your saying is that the Kahr pistol is not at fault, but all these other pistols are flawed because all the .45 rounds we tried chambered in those barrels without any problem

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    LOL,

I own 7 .45 1911's all with tight match grade chambers / barrels from Bar Sto, Wilson, Briley, etc, 1 Mech Tech .45 coversion unit for a 1911, a 625 S&W .45 acp revolver.
    The guy who has this Kahr pistol owns 2 Glock .45's, a .45 Mech Tech conversion unit, a 1911 .45 and some others.
    What your saying is that the Kahr pistol is not at fault, but all these other pistols are flawed because all the .45 rounds we tried chambered in those barrels without any problem
    What I am saying is that Khars have a short lead and fatter bullets get stuck in them and won't chamber, more pointed bullets will not hit the leads and chamber without difficulty. 1911 have a longer lead and don't have this problem. So use a different bullet with a different profile (ones that fit) and the problem will be gone. Greg posted pictures of the lead problem in this thread. He corrected the problem by making the lead longer just like your 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    What I am saying is that Khars have a short lead and fatter bullets get stuck in them and won't chamber, more pointed bullets will not hit the leads and chamber without difficulty. 1911 have a longer lead and don't have this problem. So use a different bullet with a different profile (ones that fit) and the problem will be gone. Greg posted pictures of the lead problem in this thread. He corrected the problem by making the lead longer just like your 1911.
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The problem isn't a short chamber. It's an extra tight chamber. Some rounds protrude out the barrel hood. The case mouth and the bullet don't come any where near the rifling or the head space mark. I stuck a dowel down the barrel to measure the distance the bullet goes in.

Also these same factory rounds will go through a Lee Factory Crimp Die without having to tighten the crimp. My original post was to ask if anyone else had a tight chamber issue.

Also I wrote there's the issue of the plating peeling the entire length of the bottom of the chamber. I find this to be unexceptable. I know others here including my son have this issue. We have 2 Elite 98 K9's and 2 PM9's from around 2000, with more rounds through them I believe than any one else here has. There's no peeling anywhere.

We were going to buy a P9 or a K9 for my grand daughter, but because of the cosmetically flawed pieces that are now coming out from Kahr I'll look somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    Maybe I wasn't clear enough. The problem isn't a short chamber. It's an extra tight chamber. Some rounds protrude out the barrel hood. The case mouth and the bullet don't come any where near the rifling or the head space mark. I stuck a dowel down the barrel to measure the distance the bullet goes in.

Also these same factory rounds will go through a Lee Factory Crimp Die without having to tighten the crimp. My original post was to ask if anyone else had a tight chamber issue.

Also I wrote there's the issue of the plating peeling the entire length of the bottom of the chamber. I find this to be unexceptable. I know others here including my son have this issue. We have 2 Elite 98 K9's and 2 PM9's from around 2000, with more rounds through them I believe than any one else here has. There's no peeling anywhere.

We were going to buy a P9 or a K9 for my grand daughter, but because of the cosmetically flawed pieces that are now coming out from Kahr I'll look somewhere else.
    Take a look at the Springfield XDS or XDM Series. The barrel and feed ramp are not plated and the gun will run 100% right out of the box. If you want something smaller, check the Remington RM80. It is also 100% out of the box and the barrel has no plating.