Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tight .45 chamber

Default Tight .45 chamber

Hello all,
    There's a CW 45 I'm interested in. But it seems to have a problem. It won't chamber all rounds. It is a barrel problem. If I try to drop in live factory rounds some will fall right in and some stick. The chamber seems to be tapered at the lead end. I can take these same rounds and drop them into my tight match grade 1911 Bar Sto barrel chambers with no problems.
    I took these same factory rounds and ran them through a Lee Factory Crimp Die and then the will drop in.

Also the plating in the chamber is peeled almost the whole bottom length of the chamber. This was purchase new.

Has anyone else experienced issues like i described ?

In the past we heard of the plating peeling in the chamber and sometimes the barrel.

Might be worth contacting Kahr and explaining the situation. Maybe you'd get lucky and they would send a new barrel.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    Hello all,
    There's a CW 45 I'm interested in. But it seems to have a problem. It won't chamber all rounds. It is a barrel problem. If I try to drop in live factory rounds some will fall right in and some stick. The chamber seems to be tapered at the lead end. I can take these same rounds and drop them into my tight match grade 1911 Bar Sto barrel chambers with no problems.
    I took these same factory rounds and ran them through a Lee Factory Crimp Die and then the will drop in.

Also the plating in the chamber is peeled almost the whole bottom length of the chamber. This was purchase new.

Has anyone else experienced issues like i described ?
    I have three CW45 barrels; none had adequate leade/free bore from the factory for the use of XTP style bullets.

There is discussion about this here: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...745#post354745
    As a fix, I cut my barrels fairly deep:

We have a member here (DougGuy) that does this on a professional basis (certainly much better than what I did with my drill press ):
    http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...217#post358217

Bawanna has given good advice about the plating issue. Myself, I've quit worrying about it. All my Kahr barrels show some type of plating wear or degree of loss. To top that off, the one I use in my CW45 is machined roughly. I bought it used, so I've no idea if it was a second or what the story is. It does shoot well.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

My CW45 has a short throat too. For example, regular fmj ammo loaded to 1.260" will not pass the plunk test as described by the OP. I load them to 1.240 and have no problems.

The plating on my CM9 barrel is flaking off on the Feed ramp, in the slide stop pin hole, and on the exterior where it's stamped "9mm." I'd care if it affected reliability or accuracy, but it doesn't, so I don't.

I sent the guy who currenty has the piece this thread to read. Here's what he wrote back.

"I went through the entire post. What most of those guys appear to be describing is a short cut on the throat/lead. In my condition, its hanging up on the mouth of the case just before hitting the lip of the chamber. When running the rounds that wont chamber through the lee factory crimp die, the carbide donut that is supposed to confirm sizing (or resize if necessary) just barely makes contact with the case. What I had to do was apply some additional crimp to the case mouth in order to get the rounds to drop into the chamber. What this tells me, is that if the loaded round will slide into the lee factory crimp die with little or no resistance, then the loaded round is within SAAMI specs. I see no scrapings or other markings on the 230gr jacketed ball projectile which is going need the least amount of throat/lead of any other bullet design that I can think of... aside from a true wad-cutter I suppose! Also, you might point out in the forum that the differences between the rounds that would fit and the ones that would bind, mic'd out at only about .001" difference in every measurement so it wasn't a batch that slipped through the cracks. On another note, I was showing my dad what I had found today and what do you know - he tells me that he has been having that problem all along. Says that in some cases he has to pull the mag, rack the slide, and chamber a new round to get it going again because that round is just too tight. He said on others, all he had to do was give the back of the slide a good rap with his palm and it would go the rest of the way into battery. Point being, unbeknown to me, this didn't suddenly become apparent when I was dabbling with my reloads"

Quote Originally Posted by jg rider View Post
    I sent the guy who currenty has the piece this thread to read. Here's what he wrote back.

"I went through the entire post. What most of those guys appear to be describing is a short cut on the throat/lead. In my condition, its hanging up on the mouth of the case just before hitting the lip of the chamber. When running the rounds that wont chamber through the lee factory crimp die, the carbide donut that is supposed to confirm sizing (or resize if necessary) just barely makes contact with the case. What I had to do was apply some additional crimp to the case mouth in order to get the rounds to drop into the chamber. What this tells me, is that if the loaded round will slide into the lee factory crimp die with little or no resistance, then the loaded round is within SAAMI specs. I see no scrapings or other markings on the 230gr jacketed ball projectile which is going need the least amount of throat/lead of any other bullet design that I can think of... aside from a true wad-cutter I suppose! Also, you might point out in the forum that the differences between the rounds that would fit and the ones that would bind, mic'd out at only about .001" difference in every measurement so it wasn't a batch that slipped through the cracks. On another note, I was showing my dad what I had found today and what do you know - he tells me that he has been having that problem all along. Says that in some cases he has to pull the mag, rack the slide, and chamber a new round to get it going again because that round is just too tight. He said on others, all he had to do was give the back of the slide a good rap with his palm and it would go the rest of the way into battery. Point being, unbeknown to me, this didn't suddenly become apparent when I was dabbling with my reloads"
    Good gouge and corresponds with discussion we've had on the forum in regards to factory crimping 45ACP for use in Kahr pistols.
    I think it a good thing this type of discussion gets bumped to the top of the forum every so often. Thanks!
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Whenever I have that kind of a problem it is the exact reason shown in Greg's picture. The remedy is to shorten the OAL or change bullet styles as indicated in the picture. If you have to shorten the OAL you might to need to use less powder if you are loading maximum loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeo74 View Post
    Whenever I have that kind of a problem it is the exact reason shown in Greg's picture. The remedy is to shorten the OAL or change bullet styles as indicated in the picture. If you have to shorten the OAL you might to need to use less powder if you are loading maximum loads.
    The problem isn't a short chamber. It's a chamber that seems to taper to a smaller diameter just before the rifling. Some factory rounds that go through a Lee Factory Crimp Die with no resistance won't seat all the way into the chamber

Just crimp them a little more if you are a reloader. If you only shoot factory ammo, don't buy any more of the brand that wont seat all the way. Buy the ones that fit. It's an ammo problem, not a fault of the gun.

I don't totally agree myself. A 45 should shoot any 45 ammo one can find. Maybe not shoot all of it well but it should chamber and go bang.

Same with 9 and 40 etc. I suspect the specs on the barrel are a bit tight and the specs on some of the ammo is a bit loose.

I'd go with Gregs plan and ream it out straight and true.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."