Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M27A1 with drum - bolt latches open

Default M27A1 with drum - bolt latches open

I've only had this to the range about 4 times. The first time I had feed problems with both drum and stick magazines. After some maintenance on the magizines they fed better by the third time to the range. The last time the stick magazine worked fine. When I attached the drum magazine and fired the first shot the bolt latched open. I pulled back and released it and it chambered the bullet. The next time I fired it locked back again. I repeated the process about 14 times and gave up after my hand started hurting. Does anyone have any idea why the bolt would lock open. It's not even supposed to do that on the last shot.

Thanks in advance.

I'll have to ponder some. My drum acted up the first time but I don't think I had it loaded properly. Since then it hasn't has any issues. I don't shoot it often and haven't for quite awhile, need to remedy that.

The sticks can take some tweaking to get them working properly. Making sure they are fully seated.

I don't have a good answer for you but I'll ponder some, take a peak at mine, try to come up with a workable theory.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I took it back tot the range today. The bolt still locked open. I put in the stick magazine and to my surprise it locked open then also. I forgot to mention that I am using reloads. The load I used today was 6.2 grains of CFE Pistol with a Speer 230 grain TMJ bullet. The Hogdon manual shows this would produce a velocity of about 850 fps. The Winchester ammo that I have used fairly successfully produced 835 fps. Of course the velocities are based on pistol use. I'm thinking that the load may be the problem but I am also concerned that there may be something else wrong also. IF the problem is the reloads that doesn't explain how the bolt is latching open. More for you to ponder, Bawanna. Thanks

First thing I do in a case like yours is try the Winchester ammo that worked before and see if it still balks.

It could easily be too much load or not enough load. Either of which might effect the bolt latching open.

I know they don't care for light loads much but doesn't sound like your are too light to me.

Still pondering.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The factory ammo was my next plan. I also have some reloads that I got with the rifle that might work. I wasn't ready today to deal with all that. It may take a while to get back to the range now. Or I might go back tomorrow.

I hate it when I want to test something but can't get to the range for a multitude of reasons.
    I have two guns I haven't even shot yet I'm aching to try. Got a set of sights coming for another, so guess I might as well wait another week and take them all to test................
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Well, I took it to the range again today, loaded it with 5 Winchester bullets and the first four worked fine. With the fifth the bolt locked open. Then I loaded 5 bullets loaded withe 6.5 grains of CFE Pistol and they worked ok. I read somewhere that the the Thompson likes hotter loads and the 6.5 load is definitely hotter than what I used originally. I also loaded 5 with 5.9 grans of CFE and those worked ok. I loaded 5 Winchester bullets in the drum. The first time the bolt locked open. The next three worked ok. The last one went diagonal on me. I'm looking at today as being fairly successful, but I still don't understand why the bolt locked open in the first place. Do you know of any documentation that explains the operation of the Thompson and the parts involved.

I've also heard the Thompson much prefers hotter loads. The bolt on that puppy weighs a ton, I'm surprised a 45 load will even make it function but it does.
    I don't know of any documentation but it must be out there.

I've been chasing my tail for awhile now, haven't really had time to even properly ponder and haven't made it to the range yet either............................
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Thanks, I appreciate your assistance.

Smartest guy I know on Thompsons is GhostSoldier but he hasn't been around for quite a spell, don't know if he checks in now and then or not.

I'll try to ring him up.

Earth to GhostSoldier come in GhostSoldier, ya got your ears on gby.

Well by golly he checked in yesterday so he just might see this and come along and give us some help here.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan