Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Long Rifle Version?

Default 22 Long Rifle Version?

I like Kahr pistols, their size, weight and especially the trigger. I know ammo prices are down right now, but what comes down will go back up. So with that in mind; Do you think there would be much interest in a 22 lr version or conversion kit for Kahrs? Maybe a straight blow back or light weight alloy slide version. I think this would make a great training / practice platform or even better, a new " Kit Gun " for walks in the woods. Something along the lines of a Walther PPK 22 lr. Think there would be enough demand to support one?

Interesting thought, as there is always room for another .22 plinker choice.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Wouldn't hurt, but I doubt the demand. I wouldn't buy one.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Wouldn't hurt, but I doubt the demand. I wouldn't buy one.
    I would be interested, depending on price.

.22 LR is not a good carry round, rim fired cartridges are just too unreliable. That was the reason the .25ACP was developed. The Kahr line has a rep for pocket carry, many of the models offered are the smallest or close to smallest available. I doubt a .22LR would be any smaller than a CW380. So, if it isn't smaller, why go with a weaker, smaller, less reliable round?

If you're thinking plinker/target pistol, then the long DA trigger would be a disadvantage. Most if not all target pistols, have very light triggers, with minimal pull distance.

So..with the above in mind, I do not see a market for a .22LR Kahr pistol.

What we need to see is a K-45!
    NRA Benefactor

I think the thought is practice with the same set up as big brother Kahr with cheap ammo.

Might be lots of issues trying to run such a small package on such a small cartridge.

It's been wished for before many times. The concept is good, I don't anticipate seeing come to life any time soon.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I'm not much a fan of .22LR versions/conversions of small, lightweight carry guns if the goal is cheap practice ammo. There is a radical difference in behaviour of a sub one pound arm using .22 vice their native .38/9mm.

I love small form .22's such as J-frames as short ramge plinkers. And my all time favorite is a .22 short Beretta Minx. But i'd never use these as practice substitutes for a serious carry gun.
    NRA Benefactor

Once I got my Bersa Thunder .22 running well it's been a nice plinker. Similar size and weight to my CM9. I had to chamfer the bottom of the chamber rim to get it to feed reliably and the recoil spring needs to be installed with the small end first. Fun little plinker.

I agree with Itxi, and found out the hard way. It's not just the difference in recoil, it's that a .22 needs a much stiffer hammer or striker blow to set off the primer, so the trigger feels totally different in most cases.

Skyflydive, if you wouldn't mind posting or PMing me a picture of your chamber chamfer, my Bersa .22 could use a little tweaking. It's an absolute delight to shoot, but too unreliable to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Skyflydive, if you wouldn't mind posting or PMing me a picture of your chamber chamfer, my Bersa .22 could use a little tweaking. It's an absolute delight to shoot, but too unreliable to enjoy.
    I don't have a good way to take/post a picture right now. Story is I was cycling some ammo through one day and noticed the chamber edge was skiving/peeling little shavings of lead. I figured that had to be providing enough resistance that the slide wasn't going into battery all the time. Sometimes it was worse than others and the peeling wasn't as bad with copper washed ammo. I figured the resistance was the same either way. I used a little curved riffler file to break the sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber throat. Not so much of a chamfer or bevel as it was just breaking the sharp edge. It helped immediately. I used a riffler because I had one but a small round bur or stone in a dremel would be just as effective I think as long as you aren't too aggressive.