Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop

Thread: Freedom Munitions Reloaded 9MM in a K9

Default Freedom Munitions Reloaded 9MM in a K9

I have been shooting Freedom Munitions reloaded 9mm ammo - various weights - 115, 124, 135 & 147 - with no problems through my CZ85 and Beretta 92FS, but it is a BIG no-no for my Kahr K9.
    I have attempted to cycle FM ammo through on several occasions and every time the ammo will jam in the chamber and lock the slide. I end up having to pry the slide back away from the barrel in order to extract the round.
    The ammo also failed to feed frequently and jammed while only partially entering the chamber.

I have had no problems with new brass ammo. Based on my experience with reloads and Kahr's own recommendations, I won't be trying/shooting any reloads or steelcase in my K9.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Cheers & Happy Shooting

Interesting. I'm pretty sure I've put some freedom reloads through my k9.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I shoot a lot of Freedom ammo. Mostly reman. never had a problem in any Kahr pistol.
    Guess I'm just lucky.
    NRA Benefactor

Sounds like the ammo you were trying to shoot was too long on the overall length and would not chamber because Kahr chambers are tight chambers and the rifling is close to the end of the chamber which keeps the longer ammo from correctly chambering. The same ammo if it was shorter would most likely work ok in your gun.

I've shot thousands of rounds of Freedom Munitions (reman) 9mm with quite a few different guns, including my PM9. I did have a batch that wouldn't run reliably in my PM9 or HK VP9. I had a Gen 3 Glock 17 at the range that same day, and it ran fine through the Glock. I still use Freedom in my PM9. I think I just got some that was out of spec.

At this point, I'd be dropping each different round into the barrel, to see what's tight. It could be the diameter, but I'll bet that it's what Ikeo said, and the bullet is engaging the rifling before the cartridge is fully chambered.

If ALL your Freedom ammo is hanging up, I'd be thinking it's the gun. I had some Freedom 135 grain that didn't work well in a Kimber. I tried the ammo in all my 9mm's, and it would also hit the rifling in an HK. But the HK didn't care and would feed everything. A friend gave me some FM 135 grain from another lot, and it was exactly the same. I didn't conclude it bad ammo, as I was never able to find any SAAMI specs that defined the diameter of the projectile along it's entire length.

I've shot literally thousands of FM 124-147g FMJ 9mm, new & reman thru my Beretta 92, M&P 9 & Kahr K9, CM9, CW40 without a single problem. In fact I just placed a order for another 1k rounds of 124g FMJ from FM. I never tried their 115g FMJ's.