Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to me P45

Default New to me P45

Hello all. I recently inherited my father's P45 after he lost a battle with cancer. I believe he bought it new around 2008 or so. I don't think he shot it very much. I'd be surprised if it has seen 500 rounds. I know he carried it nearly every day and was very proud of this pistol. Throughout my life he seemed to always be trading guns of all types, so the fact that he kept this one for so long means something.

I've had several different pistols over the last several years, but I haven't spent much time with any Kahrs. So I have a couple questions.
    1. I dry fire a lot, almost daily. Is it ok to continue that with this gun? I typically use snap caps during deliberate dry fire practice.
    2. Should I replace the recoil spring or any other springs right away?

I have fired just a couple magazines just to verify function and familiarize myself with it. I was very happy with the accuracy and performance at that time. I'm planning to head to the range later this week.
    Once I verify it's performance I plan to carry it. I really like the p45 and I figure that keeping it in service to protect myself and my family is just one more small way to honor his memory.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dry firing with snap caps, should be no problem.
    I would not replace any springs at this time. 500 rounds is just broken in good.
    I would run a box of your personal defense ammo through it, just to confirm the pistol and ammo work well together. I do this for all carry pistols, don't want to find out the ammo won't feed when you really need it to.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but glad to see you carry his pistol. Kahrs are sweet shooting little guns, and you will love it.
    NRA Benefactor

Exactly what ^ he said. With or without snap caps your fine. Run what you carry to make sure it works.

I too am sorry about your dad and it is indeed a tribute to him to carry one of his favorite guns.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Condolences to your family, and welcome to the forum.

What kenemoore and Bawanna said about your Dad's P45, plus you might want to consider using a flush-fitting metal baseplate magazine to make the gun even more compact. My CW45 (essentially the same pistol) has a MecGar Officer's magazine that works fine after a little dremeling on the feed lips. See the "sticky" thread at the top of this page.

I'm no expert, but some of the posters here know these guns better than the factory and can help solve just about any issue that might crop up.

Last edited by Armybrat; 11-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Your dad had good taste in carry guns. Sorry for your loss but you can at least enjoy something he treasured also.

What everyone said above about springs and carry ammo about sums it up.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Just returned from the range. 100 rounds mixed Magtech and S&B fmj. Also shot a full box of Critical Defense. No issues. I have two factory mags and a seven round ACT-MAG officer size. The 1911 mag feeds fine but doesn't hold open on last round. I'm just planning to use it as a range mag anyway.

Time to clean it up and do some holster hunting. I have a Sticky Holster, but I wouldn't mind a decent owb option.

Take a look at holsterama, decent holster at a nice price point.

http://www.holsterama.com/belt-holsters/
    NRA Benefactor

Not cheap but for OWB my still all time favorite is Mernickle. He makes a lot of cowboy fancy rigs but also lot of conceal carry stuff.

Very comfortable. I use the PS6 for my 1911's. Rides high and tucks in tightly to the side.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

So I've put about 300 rounds through the 45 now. It's working well and it's very accurate.
    Today when cleaning, I noticed a small burr on the lower right corner of the feed ramp. It's not affecting function and it may have always been there. My question is, could I be causing this by using a 1911 mag at the range? Its an officer 7 rounder that I have installed a kahr follower and spring into.
    All in all I'm very pleased. I just don't want to cause problems by trying to save a couple bucks on mags.

Last edited by 1911jw; 11-08-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911jw View Post
    So I've put about 300 rounds through the 45 now. It's working well and it's very accurate.
    Today when cleaning, I noticed a small burr on the lower right corner of the feed ramp. It's not affecting function and it may have always been there. My question is, could I be causing this by using a 1911 mag at the range? Its an officer 7 rounder that I have installed a kahr follower and spring into.
    All in all I'm very pleased. I just don't want to cause problems by trying to save a couple bucks on mags.

As you are running a Kahr follower and spring in the 1911 mag, I doubt that mag caused any issues with the feed ramp. I've been running the same combo (almost exclusively) for the last 7 years in my CW45 without any issues.

Still, you could insert an empty mag in the gun (slide removed, but with the barrel and slide stop installed in the frame...be sure to push the barrel rearward), to check where the tube sits in relation to the ramp.

I doubt a skirted follower would cause any damage, but I do think a sharp edge on "Devel" style follower could hit the ramp in the location you describe. I don't know if the hit would be hard enough to raise a burr.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>