Xssights   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a K9 Elite?

Default What is a K9 Elite?

I have a Kahr P9 Black Diamond that I think is a fantastic CCW pistol. I enjoy this Kahr pistol so much that I'm interested in obtaining a metal Kahr, likely the K9 version. I have read of a K9 Elite version being available and wonder what makes this K9 a nicer pisol than the standard. Any input appreciated.

Kent in Michigan

The Kahr web site will explain the features. Basically a polished slide, chamfered mag well and neater engraving.
    Last edited by ripley16; 11-03-2017 at 06:18 AM.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

For a time, the Elite K9s were the only K9s with the shorter "elite" trigger, about 3/4ths the trigger travel of the others. The others had a longer travel that was specified by the New York Police Department that allowed off duty use by their officers, something that Kahr proudly advertised. Wanting the shorter trigger was why I bought mine. I would have preferred an all black K9 or at least one with the more frosted appearance as I think a shiny pistol is not best for a concealed handgun. On the other hand, compared to the polymer Kahrs, I think the steel ones shoot better, both in mechanical accuracy and in handling recoil. Mine is certainly very accurate, with only minor help from me. Now, to my knowledge, all Kahrs, except those few with even shorter triggers, use the elite trigger. K9s are likely overbuilt, weighing about the same as a Glock 19, but only holding half as many rounds. I prefer shooting a K9, but carrying a P9.

Finpro - this sounds like good reasoning on why I should own a K9....and continue to carry my P9. Thanks.

The others had a longer travel that was specified by the New York Police Department that allowed off duty use by their officers...
    Just to be clear... there never was a separate "NYPD" trigger. The K9s sold to the NYPD had the original, standard long K9 trigger. The Elite model was introduced in 1998, and featured a shorter trigger. The NYPD requested Kahr change the trigger but that request was refused thereby causing the K9 to be dropped from their approved for off-duty list. There never was a separate NYPD trigger.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

So, any current K9 trigger is identical, even the K9 Elite?

I think so. Since I bought my Elite solely for the shorter trigger when I bought mine some time ago, now I would not buy an Elite. I prefer the DLC finish.

Yes, Finpro, I also prefer the DLC finish, hence my quandary. I might go with a regular K9 with a DLC finish and add night sights. Probably save a few $ as well. Thanks for the advice.

A DLC finish with night sights is the way I would go if I were buying a K9 now.

We have two 98 K9 Elites with shorter trigger pulls which were an option back then. Kahr also sold the longer / standard trigger K9's back then.
    We also have two early 2000 DLC slide PM9's that also have the elite triggers that weren't an option.

As ripley16 wrote, there never was a specific NYPD Kahr trigger. AFAIK there was only an Elite trigger or a standard trigger

I guess Danny Regan on Blue Bloods didn't get the memo to stop using his Kahr