Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended mag issues

Default Extended mag issues

When I bought my CM 9 i read numerous posts regarding jamming flaws with extended mags. I only had standard 6 round mags and had not one single issue so I stayed away from the extended mag issues. So Saturday, I picked up my P380 that came with the two mags. The standard 6 round and extended 7 round. I shot two or three mags with the standard mag with no issues. I tried the extended mag and right from the beginning chambering the first round with the slide locked back it jammed. Tried it again with the same results. I went back to the standard six round mag and once again not one flaw. I shot approximately 150 rounds through the standard six round mag and not one issue. Chambered and shot every round with nice groupings. Went back to the extended mag and once again right from the start, I tried to chamber a round with the slide open and it jammed. So, there is clearly an issue with at least some Kahr extended mags. I wonder why Kahr isn't addressing this issue. Outside of this I loved shooting the P380. Awesome little gun.

Could the mag spring be in backward?

Quote Originally Posted by 68Firebird View Post
    Could the mag spring be in backward?
    didnt even think of that. But I will have to check. Just saw so many negative comments about the extended mags in these Kahr guns and just experienced it myself.

Heard of this fairly often in the 9's, haven't heard much of it happening in the 380's.

Be interesting if the mag spring is in backwards.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

When I get home I will check the spring.

While you have that extended magazine apart to check the spring orientation, there's 2 other things you may want to check.

First, check the inside of the feed lips for any burrs. A little polishing may help. I polish all of mine up with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper until smooth and shiny. Don't bend anything! Clean everything up well, and assemble it DRY. At most, a wipe down with a silicone cloth followed by a clean dry cloth wouldn't hurt.

Before you reassemble it, put the follower on top of the spring and run it up and down the inside of the magazine to check that it isn't getting caught on anything. Be especially careful around the cutout for the magazine catch. Burrs on either the follower or the inside of the mag body can cause problems. Fine sandpaper should take care of any burrs there as well.

You'll probably hear a recommendation for Mag Guts spring and follower kits. Good quality stuff. In addition to adding an extra round, they also seem to help some folks having feed issues with their Kahr 380s. They make kits for the 6 round and also the 7 round extended magazines. Pricey, but worth it, IMO.

https://www.magguts.com/collections/kahr

I second Ed M's advice; I did all of the listed "to do's" because I wanted drop free mags during matches. in addition I polished the snot out of the outside of the mag bodies and to a lesser extent the insides; I finished this display of obsessive/compulsive behavior with a good dose of Flitz. no jam, drops free, and I can almost see my reflection on mags!

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

I also polish all of my magazines. The Kahr's really polish up nicely. I generally put car wax on them as well. Haven't bothered with that of late. The polishing seems to be enough.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default Not an issue with my P30SK

Kahr should look at the H&K P30SK and take notes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OK, so I checked the spring in the magazine and it was installed properly. So that is not the issue. I went back to the gun shop where I purchased it and told him I am not interested in the extended mags and he is ordering me a standard mag as the replacement. This is not something I want to mess with, either polishing or doing any kind of adjustments. It should be flawless. The standard Mag chambers and fires with absolutely no issues I’ve seen too many negative things about extended mags so I will stick with the standard mag and be assured that it will chamber and fire when I need it to.