Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights

Thread: Kahr P40 shorter trigger pull

Default Kahr P40 shorter trigger pull

I recently purchased a Kahr P40 pistol and i hate to say its the first pistol i have owned that i absolutely hate the trigger. I have fired exactly 100 rounds through this pistol. The pistol will not fire till the trigger is just about to touch the trigger guard. While firing there were several occasions where i felt the trigger had reached the full pull and it still did not fire. I found forcing myself to pull the trigger as hard as i could was the only way to get 100% firing. However this is not how i have shot for the past 30+ years so as expected my accuracy was off. Now before i continue i will say i own dozens of pistols and have fired well over 10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands of rounds through them. Some pistols include a RIA Tac 1911, Springfield operator 1911, Ruger LCP .380, Colt 1903 .32, Ruger single six .22lr, Ruger super Blackhawk .44 mag, Taurus PT 101 .40, Taurus PT145 millennium pro .45, Taurus 606 .357mag, Sig 938 9mm, Sig P226 9mm, Glock 19 9mm, S&W 360 .357, and many others. Out of all these pistols the Kahr P40 is the "only" pistol i have ever wanted to sell cause i hate the trigger. I like the feel of the pistol and size, I just want a shorter trigger. I know the reason they made this trigger so long since its the only safety on the firearm. Knowing this i would still like it shorter. I am not looking for a hair trigger, i just want a few MM shorter. Kahr claims they can not help me. I am hoping someone can point me toward a aftermarket trigger or a trigger mod i can do besides polishing. I am a new member here since this is my first Kahr but i did search dozens of pages before i posted thread. At first i thought i could switch to a Kahr Elite trigger but it is not available for the P40. Hopefully someone can help me. Otherwise I will be selling this pistol.

Welcome to the forums

If it were my pistol I would start looking at the parts that have an effect on the length of the trigger pull.

I'm thinking those parts would be the trigger, trigger bar, cocking cam and the striker.

Of those, I suspect the trigger or trigger bar would need replacement to correct or maybe even diagnose if they were causing the issue.

On to the cocking cam and striker:
    Cocking cam: I suppose the height/length and shape of the cocking lobe would have an affect on the length of pull, but, to my mind, the cocking cam will be the more difficult of the two to diagnose and certainly the most difficult to remove. It's not my first choice of a part to remove/replace or modify.
    Striker: I'm thinking that the length/height of the leg/tab on the striker that engages the cocking cam would affect the length of pull. IE, the shorter that leg is the less the cam needs to rotate before the striker releases. The striker is certainly the easiest of the above mentioned parts to remove and replace. I also think it would be the easiest to modify, just needing some height/length removed from that aforementioned leg/tab to reduce pull length.

Before I did any of that, I'd inspect the striker leg/tab for any damage/burs/misshaped surfaces. I'd do likewise on the cocking lobe of the cocking cam.
    I'd also consider having spare parts on hand if I decided to attempt a modification (especially if shortening that arm/tab on the striker as making it too short could result in the striker releasing before the cocking cam has lifted the striker block...maybe even affect reset).
    Wynn's photo modified for illustrative purposes.

Now this is what I would do to my own pistol and should be taken as such, not as a "how to". Is so inclined, folks should proceed at their own peril....maybe see if Kahr would send them a striker or at least accept returns. Certainly consider a trip to the mother ship for repair as an option.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I just dry fired my P40 and my pistol fires when the trigger is vertical almost at the end of it's travel. Long yes but it's never been a problem when I shoot it. A friend of mine had a trigger job done by Robar. Smoother yes, shorter no. It's on my list of mods.

https://robarguns.com/custom-weapons/handguns/kahr/

The trigger creep on my P40 is caused by the trigger bar not contacting the cocking cam right away. There is AT LEAST 1/4" of trigger pull before the two touch. If there is a way to fill in that gap, I'd do that first.