Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace

Thread: Magazine catch?

Default Magazine catch?

Is there a stainless steel magazine catch available for P series pistols? If not, hey Al are you out there?

I searched a while ago, although for a CW. There are no SS mag releases available for Kahr pistols. I decided to just deal with it, it does not interfere with the function at all, and mine is my EDC so it sees it's share of perspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken L View Post
    I searched a while ago, although for a CW. There are no SS mag releases available for Kahr pistols. I decided to just deal with it, it does not interfere with the function at all, and mine is my EDC so it sees it's share of perspiration.
    Thanks Ken, just acquired a P40 with broken mag followers and a stripped magazine catch and I suspect a thrashed recoil spring. All for VERY little $. Lakelinellc magazine followers, stainless guide rod and a new recoil spring will probably fix function, but I was curious about a material upgrade for the mag catch. I hope that when I install the new mag catch that the process of the new aluminum magazine follower being peened for the first several shots doesen't shear the new mag catch. I don't see how the magazine can be held in place without the new mag catch, so I think I might need two (?). Looks like a pretty complex part for small batch machining, but it seems like enough people have had problems with the polymer catches that it might be feasible. I have thousands of rounds through my '96 K9 and have had zero problems with it. Hope the P40 works out that way as well.

I haven't seen a plastic mag catch. I've heard they existed a long time ago, but none of my pistols have one. The most common complaint I hear about the magazine release is the blackened steel can corrode. It would probably be less expensive to plate or coat the magazine catch/release than machine new ones. I suspect it would be a pretty low volume deal either way.

I did start modeling the mag release at one point, and considered the project. I can't remember right now how far I went with it.
    Last edited by Alfonse; 11-18-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    Aftermarket accessories for Kahr Pistols at https://lakelinellc.com/
    There are always more in the pipeline...

I have several broken plastic mag catches and two good ones that I replaced with steel catches as soon as I learned here that they were available. T think they were the weakest point of early P9s and PM9s. After a time, the tiny metal piece that inserted into the slot on a mag would break off from the plastic, often without this being obvious until a mag would fall from the gun. I think this would most likely happen with a forceful mag insertion, which might happen to be when it was needed most.