Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My friends Bersa problem. Ideas?

Default My friends Bersa problem. Ideas?

My friend has been trying to get his Bersa Thunder 380 Plus fixed for two years. 9 months of that has been in Ohio at the Bersa Gunsmith who couldn't get it to do this. My friend and I had no problem getting it to do this as we shot video. Any ideas why the official Bersa Gunsmith can't fix this? We're pretty sure it's not the mags because certainly the gunsmith would have tried other ones. Or maybe he didn't use these mags and that's why he couldn't get it to do it? Ideas? Thx.

https://youtu.be/iukyvDC9xI4
    Sent from the ethers by magic.
    Archeologists have discovered that ancient people loved to drink from broken cups.

Strange that it's not doing it more consistently. It has to be the mag release not making positive enough contact with the mag.

I'd remove the grips, strip the magazine so you can see good and see if the ledge on the mag release is making good contact.

Since two mags are acting up, I assume there's something not right with the release itself.

Funny the gunsmith couldn't get it to do that and even if he couldn't he could check out the release or replace it just to be safe.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

How long is the mag release? Can you guys feel it under your thumb as you're shooting?
    Have you tried shooting it left handed to see if the problem persists?
    Maybe it just hits your thumb enough under recoil to release the mag. Just a wild thought I had, otherwise I've got nothing.

You know watching the video again, you might be onto something. Both shooters have their thumb right over that mag release.
    I would think it would be positive enough that the thumb wouldn't release it without some effort but maybe so.

I'd add playing with your grip to the scenario to see if that effects anything. It also might explain why it isn't consistent as your grip might change from shot to shot.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I agree with the Chief.............................looks like the mag release isn't doing it's job. Weak or bad spring. Gunk in the mag release hole? Metal shavings? As far as Bersa, I think I smell something fishy.

I'd agree but the last couple days I've been looking at Llama's. I checked I don't have a fever.

Friend of a friend brought in a little compact, thought it was a 9 but it was 9mm Kurz (380). Cute little bugger and felt awesome in hand, a little mini 1911.

Wish they has such a thing in a 9. Like to have one although I'd probably never carry the thing. Just cute.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    You know watching the video again, you might be onto something. Both shooters have their thumb right over that mag release.
    I would think it would be positive enough that the thumb wouldn't release it without some effort but maybe so.

I'd add playing with your grip to the scenario to see if that effects anything. It also might explain why it isn't consistent as your grip might change from shot to shot.
    The thing is neither of us are actually touching the mag release as we shoot. It's recessed toward the front of the grip almost to the trigger guard. You really have to push it when you want to release the mag. That's what is so frustrating. This gun has more frequent flier miles than I do. You'd think the smith would have replaced anything and everything near the mag release. My friend says it's been up there for 9 months out of the two years since he bought it. Thx for the comments so far.
    Archeologists have discovered that ancient people loved to drink from broken cups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I'd agree but the last couple days I've been looking at Llama's. I checked I don't have a fever.

Friend of a friend brought in a little compact, thought it was a 9 but it was 9mm Kurz (380). Cute little bugger and felt awesome in hand, a little mini 1911.

Wish they has such a thing in a 9. Like to have one although I'd probably never carry the thing. Just cute.
    I have been fighting the call of these: http://www.jgsales.com/star-bm,-9mm-....-p-85501.html
    NRA Benefactor

Thanks John,
    i think that forum and the answer might be the ticket.