Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new

Thread: Want an extra rd in your K-40 mag?

Default Want an extra rd in your K-40 mag?

Hey folks, I picked up some 1911 mags in a used sale box at Cabela's a few weeks ago and was impressed with the mags that had "shooting Star" stainless followers in them. In the passed I swapped in S&W followers in my K mags to get an extra round to run but they were rather cheesey plastic and these simple spring type followers worked slick as extra round 1911 followers. So I tracked down this guy on Ebay for "look alike" shooting stars in a 5 unit set for 13.95 shipped. They actually are original Shooting Star followers that Midway sells for $19 each! What a gift there.... Any way, To get these to work in a K40 mag the opposite side to the slide stop must be ground back so they fit into the mag body and then only the bottom slide stop plate needs to be shortened at the front end so the follower can ride straight up & down while the back downward end is flat with the back of the mag. Next the last spring coil must be bent around and clipped as in the picture. This keeps the follower from coming out of the mag when empty. Also, just a tiny grind or needle filing on the little spring hook tab so the spring can fit around it nicely. I didn't take final measurements but can do so if any one wants to make the attempt. These are rather ingenious designed followers and make the 6's 7's and 7's 8's with out pinching the casings on a closed slide. These work really slick and don't suffer from possible sluggish movement like the plastic ones when they get really powder fowled.

Neat idea.
    Wondering if it might also work on my K40 Covert 5-round mags.
    Another project..

Here is the original Kahr follower compared to an un modified 45 shooting star follower.

Nice. I bet you can't crack that follower either.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I just got a cm45 and ordered 2 7 round mags. well I thought they were 7 rounder's. I can only get 6 in both. do you think the shooting star might help me fit #7 in these?

I just got a cm45 and ordered 2 7 round mags. well I thought they were 7 rounder's. I can only get 6 in both. do you think the shooting star might help me fit #7 in these?

can you find the name of the seller? tried 5 searches on ebay no love

Quote Originally Posted by Badbot View Post
    can you find the name of the seller? tried 5 searches on ebay no love
    The guy on Ebay is out. I think I bought the last ones he had. Here is the page from Midway. If you have the large plastic follower with conventional fixed slide stop leg, there is a good chance it will get you another round. Originally, they claim to use these in welded base mags since some plastic slip on bases may not hold the extra round pressure of spring compression and the follower in full compression. The Kahr K-40 bases are pretty stout so I don't think that's an issue here. If your plastic bases are beefy, I'd try it.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48

UPDATE... The Ebay guy is back with a great deal on 5 pack sets https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1911-45-M...19.m1438.l2649