Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Kahr Talk a turn off to some

I usually tell the negative nancys that if I let internet chatter dictate what firearms I should buy for self defense, then my choice of weapon would be a Louisville slugger.

Then there are still those gunnuts around who deride the Kahr brand as "Moonie" guns. Most likely those guys would be thrilled to own a Nazi-marked Luger, a commie Marakov, or Imperial Japanese Nambu. Go figure.

This is a great forum and is one of the best moderated that I have ever had the privilege to join. That is based on my Internet experience since 1998 and accumulating in excess of 100,000 posts on scores of forums of all types. (a couple dozen of those posts over the decades have actually been worthwhile to read too)
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

but people looking for instant answers will go to where the action is.
    I find you get pretty quick answers on this forum.

Kahrs seem to be somewhat like Kimbers. Some love them, some are skeptical, and some believe all the negative posts on the internet. I see very few Kahrs on my range and all but one of them have performed flawlessly. The owner of the CW45 as well as a few of our range officers, continues to have an assortment of reliability issues even though the gun has been back to Kahr three times. I also have a customer that has dents in his forehead from his Kimber 1911's ejection issues regardless of ammo choice. That gun also has been returned twice to no avail.
    Odd little things like this hit the internet and opinions are formed. I have owned both and never an issue, in fact my PM9 is a stellar performer and is the crash test dummy when I consider a new handload.

Kimber has the advantage because of their huge advertising program.
    Last edited by 340pd; 12-03-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Most people in this neck of the woods don't even know what a Kahr is. They do sell them here and there, but for the most part they are an unknown. I show people mine on occasion and they are intrigued, but I get the feeling that since it's not HK, or SIG, or S&W or Ruger, they're lost. It's ok I guess and most companies continue to have their issues, none have been immune. You just have to do your due diligence when purchasing a firearm, and weed out the comments from people who are definitely not even close to understanding the workings of firearms, or shouldn't even own one in the first place. I too was ignorant of Kahr until I saw one in a store. Purchased mine new online and took a chance. Has turned out to be a great(but friggen stiff still) firearm for my carry purposes. They are all tools which can be fixed. Occasionally you get a booger that just doesn't want to run, but for the most part, many of the complaints come from people with little or no working knowledge of firearms. Most of the time, if you find something that works for you, you'll be ok. We are actually lucky that we have forums, as to not be running to a gunsmith every time we have an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    but people looking for instant answers will go to where the action is.
    I find you get pretty quick answers on this forum.
    This right here ^^^

I've had good luck with my Kahrs. Out of 7 I've only had one that had an issue. My CW45 had the short frame rail problem but the gun still worked ok and Kahr replaced the frame for free. My Kahrs eat anything and work even limp wristing them.

Now I had a Beretta nano and Bersa with fail to extract issues that couldn't be resolved. They're gone now.
    Of 2 Glocks that are both gone now one that had chronic fail to feed issues. 50% perfection.
    Had a Ruger LC9s Pro that came with the sights out of whack that I had to fix.
    My RIA 1911's wont extract steel case ammo.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

For me, I only knew about the more expensive Kahr firearms till I found a CW380 for $202 on the Tombstone website. I bought it and was not a happy camper. Out of the box....I liked my Bersa 380 much better. It turned out to be a pretty good firearm, but after finding a CM9 and buying it , I am now recommending it to everyone I know as a great EDC firearm.

As I see it, part of the "turn off" problem may stem from when someone comes here looking for help with their firearm, and instead, people here try to steer them to a different firearm.

How would you feel if you were in their shoes?

Maybe we should be helping them find a fix that is often an easy fix that they can do themselves.

Sending a gun back to Kahr is always an option, but they probably don't need our help for that......

Quote Originally Posted by yqtszhj View Post
    This right here ^^^

I've had good luck with my Kahrs. Out of 7 I've only had one that had an issue. My CW45 had the short frame rail problem but the gun still worked ok and Kahr replaced the frame for free. My Kahrs eat anything and work even limp wristing them.
    Say, what's this "short frame rail problem"? I've got a CW45 - but it's workin' great.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    For me, I only knew about the more expensive Kahr firearms till I found a CW380 for $202 on the Tombstone website. I bought it and was not a happy camper. Out of the box....I liked my Bersa 380 much better. It turned out to be a pretty good firearm, but after finding a CM9 and buying it , I am now recommending it to everyone I know as a great EDC firearm.
    My 1st Kahr was a PM9 - bought it not long after they were introduced. Nice reliable little gun, but a bit too thick for comfortable pocket carry, so gifted it to my son several years ago. Have pocket carried an LCP & a CT380 ever since.
    Also have a CW45 that gets carried in a jacket pocket during our brief cold weather, but it is being replaced by my new CW9 for IWB carry. The .45 is gettin' too hard on my wrists anyway, so son will have a surprise Christmas present.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    My 1st Kahr was a PM9 - bought it not long after they were introduced..........
    Me, too. I'd been familiar Kahr Arms since about their inception but the PM9 was form factor that prompted me to buy my first. Followed that with an MK9 and a K9. All good guns and still they far best semi-auto "revolvers" on the market in my opinion.
    NRA Benefactor