Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure to everything - CW380

Default Failure to everything - CW380

I've gotten failures of just about everything in my first 3 boxes, FTF, FTE, FTL, not going fill into battery, etc. Cleaned it up, and ran 3 more through it and it doesn't seem to be improving.

I heard these were a ***** to break in, but this is doesn't seem like it should have left the factory? Or just run more boxes through?

I tried looking for obvious points of failure, and this is all I really came up with, is the front of the frame supposed to be flared like this?

What ammo?

Yeah, the frames are built like that. The rails are straight.

With the gun assembled and safety checked, put an empty mag in and pull the slide back all the way.

The slide should lock back. Let's go from there...

my CM9 has a flair, but it has run w/o a stoppage for 8000 rds. now; the metal guides look straight which is good. IMHO, from what I've seen about the Kahr .380s, they are not worth the headaches to make run right, when the CM9s ( generally ) shoot,shoot,and shoot. struggle thru the 500 break in, if not reliably functioning after that, send back to Kahr or get a CM9 and shoot,shoot, and shoot.

NRA LIFER

IDPA BELEIVER

I strongly disagree with the 380's being tough to get running right.

Most problems seem to be ammo related, ie the extractor/breech face clearance. Kahr will fix this, or anyone with a bit of mechanical aptitude can fix this themselves.

Kahr will certainly fix anything else, but those issues seem uncommon.

All six Kahrs I own have functioned perfectly out of the box with quality domestic made ammo, with three of them being 380's.

When the Kahr 380's run right, there is no other 380 available that is easier to conceal safely, or as easy to shoot very accurately.

IMHO - heck yeah they're worth the effort, if any is required.

Yes the frame is suppose to flair out like that.

I agree with what Ed M said. The majority of problems are due to the extractor being too close to the breech face not allowing enough room for the bullet to tip up and into the chamber.

Look at the sticky thread regarding this topic. It has all the answers!
    Kahr MK9, Kahr CW9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 17, Remington RM380, Sarsilmaz B6PC

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

As I posted many times prior, I am glad I bought a CM9 after buying a CW380, because if I had not, I would have never said much good about a Kahr firearm. It never broke in to where I trusted it for an EDC. My CM9 has gained my respect for Kahr firearms. The thing is just about perfect in every way you can ask a firearm to be.

CW380. My first 100 rounds I had 14 failures of different kinds. I then did the prep for a new Kahr and have not had any failures since. I lost count of rounds, but it is in excess of 1000 since the prep. So, first find the sticky for prepping a new Kahr for use and follow it. I broke mine in with PMC, Remington, and Winchester. This may save you hundreds of frustrating rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    CW380. My first 100 rounds I had 14 failures of different kinds. I then did the prep for a new Kahr and have not had any failures since. I lost count of rounds, but it is in excess of 1000 since the prep. So, first find the sticky for prepping a new Kahr for use and follow it. I broke mine in with PMC, Remington, and Winchester. This may save you hundreds of frustrating rounds.
    Where's the sticky? It's not on this forum? Do you mind linking? Thanks.

Slide locks back fine on the last round, if I ever get to it.

So sounds like I should clean and try another 300 rds? I doubt ammo is the issue (unless all FMJs aren't suitable), I had FMJ boxes from Sig Sauer, HPR, PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, Winchester white box, and another Sig Sauer box, in that order. HPR seemed to run the best, best as in 10 stoppages in the roulette wheel of failures, versus 15-20.

I'll check the breech face sticky, but this will be the first firearm I've owned of the two dozen I've owned, that needed modification right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by mark7mod0 View Post
    As I posted many times prior, I am glad I bought a CM9 after buying a CW380, because if I had not, I would have never said much good about a Kahr firearm. It never broke in to where I trusted it for an EDC. My CM9 has gained my respect for Kahr firearms. The thing is just about perfect in every way you can ask a firearm to be.
    Thanks for the opinion.

I have a Walther PPS M2 as my EDC, which has never ever had a failure of any kind, I was hoping the CW380 would nail the pocket carry 100% (even though I pocket carry the PPS M2 in the winter at times). CM9 kinda splits the difference, and I'd rather have the smaller one as the "best of the class" kind of gun (otherwise I can't justify it in my carry rotation while owning the PPS M2).

I don't have any doubts that it CAN be reliable, I'd just like to be able to get to that point someday, somehow.

he sticky is in the New Member Forum. Sticky: Proper prep of a new kahr