Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Failure to everything - CW380

Quote Originally Posted by erichard View Post
    I think they may be kidding themselves about it not being a big issue.
    I completely agree with your entire post.

This makes no sense to me as well. If Kahr knows what the correct chamber inside diameter should be, and they could easily measure the extractor/breech face clearance on a gun that eats any ammo - why don't they measure these during assembly?

It'd only take a second or two with a feeler gauge and a digital micrometer to discover if things are right. A go/no go test right off the bat.

That'd have to be cheaper than paying to have a bunch of firearms returned on their dime for repair, and would go a long way towards improving their reputation.

These little 380s ARE handy to carry. How many more would they sell if they were all 100% reliable out of the box?

People research these things, and info is readily available now a days....

Quote Originally Posted by topgun1953 View Post
    while I was ordering some springs for my P380, I went ahead and ordered an extractor too. Glad I paid extra for FedEx ground....after being lost for a week, the package is scheduled for tomorrow. I’ll post a picture of the extractor soon after.
    The new extractor that I received is a mim part. The bottom edge is ground at an angle. I forgot my calipers at work, so I’ll get them and take some measurements next week. I ran 80 rounds of freedom fmj through my P380 without issue. My old extractor ran fine though too. The two extractors look the same other than the difference in manufacturing.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    I completely agree with your entire post.

This makes no sense to me as well. If Kahr knows what the correct chamber inside diameter should be, and they could easily measure the extractor/breech face clearance on a gun that eats any ammo - why don't they measure these during assembly?
    It'd only take a second or two with a feeler gauge and a digital micrometer to discover if things are right. A go/no go test right off the bat.
    That'd have to be cheaper than paying to have a bunch of firearms returned on their dime for repair, and would go a long way towards improving their reputation.
    These little 380s ARE handy to carry. How many more would they sell if they were all 100% reliable out of the box?
    People research these things, and info is readily available now a days....
    Just guessing but seems likely they're making them all to the new specs now, with the "upgraded" extractor. But what to do about the ones that are on the market or recently purchased? Since its not a safety issue, I'm guessing the policy is wait for people to send them in if they have a problem rather than issue a recall.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBurn View Post
    Just guessing but seems likely they're making them all to the new specs now, with the "upgraded" extractor. But what to do about the ones that are on the market or recently purchased? Since its not a safety issue, I'm guessing the policy is wait for people to send them in if they have a problem rather than issue a recall.
    Agreed. Also, the majority of Kahr 380s probably don't have an issue if you stick to domestic made ammo.

I'm just glad they figured out the fix for the problem.

Kudos to the smart folks here that figured it out before Kahr did.

The new extractor that I received is a mim part. The bottom edge is ground at an angle. I forgot my calipers at work, so I’ll get them and take some measurements next week. I ran 80 rounds of freedom fmj through my P380 without issue. My old extractor ran fine though too. The two extractors look the same other than the difference in manufacturing.
    So I have three extractors. One, machined steel has over 1200 rounds on it, one that I've had kicking around for a while looks to be mim, and then the one I just received from Kahr which is definately mim. They are all the same dimensionally. The diameter of the lug, the overall length, and the gap between the lug and the claw. As the picture shows, they all have the bottom edge angled and somewhat polished. From what I've read, the extractor used to have a squared off bottom edge? If so, the only change appears to be the rounded bottom edge of the claw. For the most part, I haven't had feeding issues, just an occasional reman round from Freedom Munitions. The machined part is at the top, my newest one is bottom left.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

From what I've read, the extractor used to have a squared off bottom edge?
    The bottom edge on mine (purchased around 2013) was sharp and square on the bottom. I immediately knew that was a bad idea so I slightly rounded it before I even fired the first round through mine.

BTW thanks for the pic.

All 3 of those look like MIM parts to me.

Those little circles aren't machined...