Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Failure to everything - CW380

Sounds like you're doing what you can to make this work.

If you make it through the prep thread, and don't make it run 100%, I think it's time to give Kahr customer service a call.

The extractor mod is really only needed to run certain brands of non-SAAMI spec ammo in it (Fiocchi). If it doesn't run with PMC or Remington FMJ, there's a problem (assuming no operator errors).

Best wishes on getting it to run right. Those here with good ones like them a lot.

But occasionally there are lemons that don't seem to ever get fixed, especially with these tiny mouse guns.

But it sounds like the OP is in the preliminary stages of smoothing his out.

Three of my four Kahrs ran great after the prep, and the 4th one (CW9) hasn't been put through its paces yet.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Probably needs an extractor upgrade. Not that uncommon with new CW380s. Call or email the factory and get a RMA authoriziation. Mine came back quickly and now runs fine with pretty much any ammo including the flat nosed Winchester.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899

For those answering,
    1. did they redesign the extractor recently?
    2. are they now including that new extractor design in 380's sold currently?
    3. if you order an extractor from them or elsewhere, are you gonna get the new design most likely?

I thought I read they fixed the extractor issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    When the Kahr 380's run right, there is no other 380 available that is easier to conceal safely, or as easy to shoot very accurately.
    Exactly the reason why I decided to waste four years of my life and thousands of rounds of ammo getting mine to run right instead of just throwing it into a deep lake. I even bought a Ruger LCP to replace mine, but it just doesn't shoot the same.

Quote Originally Posted by erichard View Post
    For those answering,
    3. if you order an extractor from them or elsewhere, are you gonna get the new design most likely?
    There are several Kahr employees that post on a Kahr Facebook group.

From what I've read from them, apparently most Kahr 380s don't have an issue with chambering the recommended domestic made ammo. Just running the recommended 200 round break in takes care of things.

They're also aware that some do have issues, and they apparently have read the posts about how to solve these issues that members here have discovered.

They have a "new" fix for the chambering issues that SEEMS to be the same fixes found by some members here (modifying the lower edge of the extractor claw, and increasing the clearance between the extractor and breech face).

They also check the chamber diameter and bore it out a thousandth or so if its too tight. They haven't said what it should measure though.

Are they making these modifications to new manufacture guns? Don't know, but they DO know how to fix the ones that have issues.

Both of my CW380s had the bottom edge of the extractor claw ground off at a 45 degree angle when manufactured. It wasn't rounded off. They still wouldn't chamber every round of Fiocchi/Perfecta FMJ - about a 50% failure rate.

My new P380 has a 90 degree edge on the bottom of the extractor claw, and it's a more recent manufacturing date than my CW380s. I did the modifications to my CW380s myself, and they now eat any ammo fine. I haven't done the mods to my P380, and it won't chamber Fiocchi/Perfecta FMJ at all.

It's my guess (and only a guess) that they're using the same old extractor, and will "update" it if returned by folks that have issues with chambering.

Long time PM9 owner here which I carry regularly and have about 3k rounds through with zero malfunctions. I bought a new CW380 this past weekend and went to the range to perform 200 round break in. What followed was several hours of pain and agony as I slogged through 250 rounds of various brands I could find locally. I experienced approximately 75% failure to feed or return to battery, some failures to extract, and failure to chamber first round with slide release. My extractor does indeed have the angle from the factory; however, that obviously didn't have any effect on the reliability of my gun. I filled out an RMA request on Kahr's website later that day explaining how many rounds I fired and my issues. I received a FedEx prepaid overnight label from Kahr on Monday, I mailed it in on Tuesday, and received a receipt notification from Kahr on Wednesday.

I am almost certain I have an extractor to breach face clearance issue. I'll provide an update when I get it back and to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    From what I've read from them, apparently most Kahr 380s don't have an issue with chambering the recommended domestic made ammo. Just running the recommended 200 round break in takes care of things.
    Thanks for the reply. You're probably right. However, I think they may be kidding themselves about it not being a big issue. A lot of people don't shoot much, never fire hundreds of rounds to test it, are too lazy or busy to contact Kahr, or are too fed up with the gun to deal with the hassle of getting it right. A lot of people just sell the gun or put it away in the safe due to unreliability. There are many reasons they might not hear from most of their buyers. I can't know myself either, of course, but I suspect they are vastly under estimating the number of problematic guns. I myself had to fight to get them to send a shipping label to send it in, and they didn't fix the gun in two attempts. I had to fix it myself (prior to extractor issue being known to them I suspect). If they won't cover shipping (were very resistant to do this), then it becomes fairly expensive to take care of this problem relative to the cost of the gun, since we have to ship it overnight UPS or FedEx. I just didn't want to fight them on the phone one more time for shipping, and so never sent in again. The only way I got shipping was by talking to the manager (Jay?). And one customer rep on the phone was one of the worst I've spoken with in the gun industry. There are a great many reasons people are disinclined to send guns in. I think this gives them a false sense of the gun being OK overall. They should just redesign the extractor and put it in all 380's. Penny wise pound foolish has sunk many a gun maker.

Having said all that, and having fixed the issues now, I carry the gun as much as any gun. It is basically my summer carry when wearing shorts and a Tshirt. It shoots well, is accurate, very slim and lightweight, has a nice trigger, and takes Magguts to max out the rounds per mag. A very handy gun.

Quote Originally Posted by erichard View Post
    For those answering,

I thought I read they fixed the extractor issue.
    while I was ordering some springs for my P380, I went ahead and ordered an extractor too. Glad I paid extra for FedEx ground....after being lost for a week, the package is scheduled for tomorrow. I’ll post a picture of the extractor soon after.
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm

I think Kahr is making a mistake, from a marketing perspective, by not aggressively getting ahead of these issues. I own a number of kahr pistols, have had very few problems with them and like them quite a bit, but I have a strong impression that Kahr needs more work on its quality control. Kahr needs to do more to prevent unreliable guns from making it into the marketplace. I have no problem with their 200 round break in suggestion, but that should not be used as a method to sort out the good guns from the lemons, and that is what many customers or potential customers think is going on. Wearing in the springs and smoothing some contact points through a break-in process is one thing, but if extractors aren't fitted right or working right, that is not a break in issue. Customers get annoyed when they buy a $400 gun and it won't run right and a test fire at the manufacturer would have disclosed that. It isn't enough to say Kahr will make it right later...people want products to work as promised without a warranty repair or a DIY fix. Well, that is how it seems to me anyway.

Other than that, they could use a good engineer to work on their magazines.