Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has .327 Federal Magnum experience?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who has .327 Federal Magnum experience?

Just bought 4 boxes of AE 100gr JSP in anticipation of receiving my new 3" Ruger SP101 Six Shot in that caliber. How does it stack up with the .357 magnums y'all have been shooting? Was a bit hesitant about getting into a new caliber, but the idea of a 6 shot SP101 in a magnum caliber was hard to resist.
    The .327 cartridge looks a bit scrawny (that's my old .357 in the background):

A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Congrats on the purchase Armybrat. I've been really interested in the .327 fed mag for a while now, unfortunately I don't have any hands on experience with it. The ballistics on paper and youtube test videos of the caliber look really great though. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you get some down range.
    Kahr MK9, Kahr CW9, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Glock 17, Remington RM380, Sarsilmaz B6PC

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

No experience with the .327 load, but I'm sure it will be stout. The firearm handles stout loads just fine. May want to check out some spring changes and a bit of polishing. I would venture to say it could end up being one of your favorites. I keep trying to trade the wifey, but she says no way. She loves hers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Just bought 4 boxes of AE 100gr JSP in anticipation of receiving my new 3" Ruger SP101 Six Shot in that caliber. How does it stack up with the .357 magnums y'all have been shooting? Was a bit hesitant about getting into a new caliber, but the idea of a 6 shot SP101 in a magnum caliber was hard to resist.
    The .327 cartridge looks a bit scrawny (that's my old .357 in the background):
    Well, it is a .32. Your reason for going there seems quite sound to me.
    NRA Benefactor

I shot a friends Ruger LCR .327 at the range and was impressed....The recoil in his LCR felt like somewhere between a .38 special and a +P .38 special in a J frame....Not bad at all and nothing like a .357 mag...It was quite loud and made a pretty good muzzle blast but was manageable and accurate out to 10 yards or so....I only wish the caliber would have taken off better in sales kinda like a .357 Sig which is also a great cartridge that went out of vogue....I think the .327 Federal mag would make a great self defense gun with impressive ballistics and a full 6 shots in a small package that can also fire .32 H&R mag and any other .32 caliber revolver cartridge for practice....The only negative I can see is that the .327 Federal mag ammo is sometimes a little hard to find and quite spendy compared to .38 special but it's available and would be no harder to reload that any other revolver ammo....I liked it a lot but not enough to get rid of my tried and true J frame but it is a quite interesting load....

Hmm, I didn't know one could shoot 32 H&R or other 32 caliber cartridges.

I was a bit under the spell of the 327 for awhile but managed to escape without being fully lured in.

I'd personally like to see more 38 Special non +P around. The lightweight and alloy J Frames are just better without. Especially for my wife.

Everything now days seems to be +P
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post

I was a bit under the spell of the 327 for awhile but managed to escape without being fully lured in.

I'd personally like to see more 38 Special non +P around. The lightweight and alloy J Frames are just better without. Especially for my wife.

If you're referring to my comment...never suggested it could. Just noting it's .32 class diameter.

Part B...I agree and my preferred carry round for lw J-frames is and long has been std pressure 125 Federal NyClad. To my mind, and ability, .357 anything in one of them guns essentially makes it a single shot.
    NRA Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    If you're referring to my comment...never suggested it could. Just noting it's .32 class diameter.

Part B...I agree and my preferred carry round for lw J-frames is and long has been std pressure 125 Federal NyClad. To my mind, and ability, .357 anything in one of them guns essentially makes it a single shot.
    The Federal Nyclad was and is my choice. I have a pretty good supply of it for awhile but about gone. I don't even see it around anymore.
    I'd like to get a bunch of that.
    Getsome is the one that said it shoots the 32 stuff.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I get the wife's .38 at Target Sports USA................usually have a decent selection.

I am loading my S&W Airweight with the new Ruger ARX 38 special non +p round...It has a light for caliber copper/polymer non expanding bullet that looks like a Phillips head screw driver tip.....The rounds are much lighter than lead hollow point and weigh 77 grains but produce almost 1200 fps out of a short snub barrel....The ballistic tests on this and the almost identical Black Hills round produce a large wound channel in gel then start to tumble and penetrate 12 to 14 inches...The recoil is very light with very little muzzle flash...This round is a good self defense round for someone who carries a light short barrel handgun and is recoil sensitive....