Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New CW380 guidance welcome

I'm less worried about extractor problems than I am light firing pin strikes, which have long plagued my P380 and are a lot harder to solve. Last week at the range I had another one, although it could have been the fault of the old ammo I was shooting up. Right now I've got a couple of defective Taurus pistols to send back after the holidays, but once I'm finally back to having no guns in need of fixing I may get a CW380 and try my luck on it. I'm sure the shop selling it will have more at that price eventually.

Well, I was getting close to getting it, but when I went back to the LGS today it was gone. I asked them if they're going to order another one and they said they held onto the old one for far too long which was why it was such a good price ($239). You snooze you looze.

I don't see the connection between old ammo and light strikes. Why would the primer get any harder? Try not fully in battery due to weak recoil spring, or dirty striker channel or weak striker spring. Old ammo would be the last thing I would ever consider as the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I'm less worried about extractor problems than I am light firing pin strikes, which have long plagued my P380 and are a lot harder to solve. Last week at the range I had another one, although it could have been the fault of the old ammo I was shooting up. Right now I've got a couple of defective Taurus pistols to send back after the holidays, but once I'm finally back to having no guns in need of fixing I may get a CW380 and try my luck on it. I'm sure the shop selling it will have more at that price eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by dustnchips View Post
    I don't see the connection between old ammo and light strikes. Why would the primer get any harder? Try not fully in battery due to weak recoil spring, or dirty striker channel or weak striker spring. Old ammo would be the last thing I would ever consider as the cause.
    If you look back at all of my posts you'll see I've become quite an expert in Kahrs and light firing pin strikes. I literally spent several years trying to solve a persistent LFPS issue with my P380, and I've long since learned to only shoot it when squeaky clean and with reasonably fresh springs. I mostly got it debugged at long last, but the particular cartridge that failed to fire ended up with a strange, flat dent in the primer instead of a round indent like you'd expect. After three tries it went off. Since it didn't show a properly-shaped firing pin hit I am assuming there was something wonky about the consistency of the metal used to make that particular primer cup. All the other rounds I fired that day were fine with decent indents. It WAS old ammo, but you're right that it wasn't BECAUSE it was old.

I still don't believe old ammo. I can believe it was bad from the get go though.

Quote Originally Posted by dsk View Post
    I'm less worried about extractor problems than I am light firing pin strikes, which have long plagued my P380 and are a lot harder to solve.
    Been there. My old P380 was reliable for years, then developed a problem with occasional light strikes. Kahr replaced the barrel on the theory that the round was loading a bit too deeply into the chamber. That didn't do it so they replaced the frame which somehow had come to have too much flex I guess. That did it, it was back to being perfect (until it was stolen last year.)

Again, having a 2nd one - a cw380 which is essentially a duplicate - made it easier to tolerate the repeat trips to the factory.
    Rest in peace Muggsy

"Individual Muslims may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world." Winston Churchill 1899