Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace

Thread: pm9 slide tightness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default pm9 slide tightness

I posted a previous thread about my indecision between the cw9 and the pm9. I have two additional questions. After handling both, I noticed the slide of the pm9 is very stiff and required a good rap on the back to have it slide back into battery. Is this normal? I would assume that it is something that would work itself out during the recommended break in period, but you know what they say about assumptions (you make an ass out of you and,umption).

did any of you pm 9 owners encounter this problem? Also, what about self defense ammo, I prefer speer gold dot or corbon dpx. do either of these or both cycle well?

Are you talking about chambering a round? With the magazine out and racking the slide, it should close easily. If you're chambering a round, the "Kahr-preferred" method in the manual is to lock the frame back, insert loaded magazine, use the slide release lever to load the chamber, while holding the pistol firmly. A loose grip takes up some of the force and can prevent the slide from fully going into battery... while shooting, too.
    The CW's seem less finicky about grip, I think.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

no, the pm 9 was as empty as jamarcus russells head. No magazine inserted and no round being chambered. This was done with the slide locked to the rear and the slide release pressed to release the slide. about mid way forward it got hung up on its self.

Well, that's different. I don't think I've heard of that happening. Maybe it was taken apart and re-assembled incorrectly?
    Maybe someone else knows something. It's hard to diagnose without having the gun in hand or very good pictures of the slide off the gun.
    Is the guide rod showing square in the hole at the front? Maybe it's out of place or the slide and barrel aren't mating properly.
    I would be leery of buying a gun that does that, unless it can easily be cleared by taking the slide off, checking to see if everything is in its place, and making sure it works on re-assembly.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

It probalby would break in OK but test out another PM9 before you do anything. the slide should close when released by the slide lock lever. I wold pass on that particular PM9 for sure but I would certainly buy the PM9 if you want thr smallest and the best.

without shooting that particular PM9, one would not know if a few rounds out of it would loosen what ever is holding it up, which more than likely it would, The pre prepping ofyour new kahr would certainly help it alot..