15. You may not vote on this poll
  • collector

0 0%
  • accumulator

15 100.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I shoot it?

Question Should I shoot it?

My brother in law, Mr. Teacup Limpwrister, has purchased a couple firearms that I agree are pretty collectible. And with every one he asks me the same question: "Do you think I should shoot it?" He's thinking about collector value I am sure. And maybe a little bit about safety.

I'll admit that, on one hand, I'm a little jealous. They are really nice. But, on the other hand, I enjoy shooting as much as owning firearms. I've always been drawn to guns that are either fun to shoot or serve a certain SD or sporting purpose. It never occurred to me not to shoot them. So I guess I am an accumulator vs. a collector.

I'm curious. How many of you have "collectible" firearms you will never shoot? What is it/are they? Or are you an accumulator like me?
    ​O|||||||O

I have my Granny's little .410 Belgian shotgun she shot clays with in the early 20th century ( Family Legend has it.) Near as the local shotgun nut smith and I can figure it was made in the late 19th century by “Anciens Etablissements Pieper." When you pull back on the trigger guard the gun breaks for loading the single barrel. It's really small...maybe 3lbs. Sometimes known as a "Bicycle gun" for some reason - maybe because it's so compact folded it can easily be carried on a bicycle...who knows? I'm afraid to shoot it because I don't think it's been shot in 100 years. The barrel is immaculate.

I don't have anything I'd "never" shoot. But I did recently realize the difference between an accumulator and a collector. An accumulation of firearms goes down in value. A collection increases.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    I have my Granny's little .410 Belgian shotgun she shot clays with in the early 20th century ( Family Legend has it.) Near as the local shotgun nut smith and I can figure it was made in the late 19th century by “Anciens Etablissements Pieper." When you pull back on the trigger guard the gun breaks for loading the single barrel. It's really small...maybe 3lbs. Sometimes known as a "Bicycle gun" for some reason - maybe because it's so compact folded it can easily be carried on a bicycle...who knows? I'm afraid to shoot it because I don't think it's been shot in 100 years. The barrel is immaculate.
    Yikes! She musta been a veritable Annie Oakley!
    ​O|||||||O

Pic won't post right side up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have several guns that I haven't shot, some I can't find ammo for, others for sentimental reasons or I have something similar to shoot.
    Frankly I'm one of those guys that just doesn't seem to have the time or the place to shoot everything I'd like to shoot.

I have some that I had to shoot, so I did and haven't shot them much, like my 42 Colt 1911. It shoots perfect but I have other 1911's so it don't get out much.

To me a collector is a person who specializes. Maybe Winchester lever guns or period military arms or something focused.

Being an accumulator I love everything that goes bang and I want them all. So I guess I'm a scattergun collector, perhaps another word for accumulator.

I don't totally agree that accumulations go down in value, some do of course, others don't and I'll be the first to admit I've not made much of anything when I parted with guns. Usually I take a little bit of a beating especially on trades but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Well, I better not shoot that Colt in my upside down pictures - no telling where the boolets might wind up..... or down.
    -Rudyard Kipling

That upside down Colt is one I'd have a tough time shooting. I'd want to very badly but I don't think I could get myself to do it.

The word collector reminded me of a fella (customer) at the gun shop I did a little on the job training at when I first became a derelict.

He collected Winchester rifles. We had specific instructions that the box was to be opened very carefully to verify the serial number but then shut. Gun wasn't to be handled in any way prior to customer picking it up.

He had many, possibly hundreds. That virtually never left the box. Hang tags not removed, bolt never inserted into the rifle.

Now that boys and girls is a hard core collector and just maybe a good 401K down the road.

I can't imagine not taking a gun out of the box and inserting the bolt though, that's insane.

Seems like now all the bolt rifles I see come with the bolt already in, but haven't taken one out of the box in years so maybe not.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just recently I actually started cocking that Colt in anticipation of shooting it on March 2nd, Texas Independence Day. Bought a box of .45 Colt (took out a new mortgage on the house), and am now lookin' for a poster/target of Santa Anna.

The 1985 manufactured gun had supposedly never been turned since leaving Hartford.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Used to be an accumulator..................got rid of everything I don't shoot. Now, just have carry size firearms for self defense. Shoot them frequently.........................