15. You may not vote on this poll
  • collector

0 0%
  • accumulator

15 100.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I shoot it?

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    Used to be an accumulator..................got rid of everything I don't shoot. Now, just have carry size firearms for self defense. Shoot them frequently.........................
    Yep I see that condition in my future. But not yet. Digging through the safe looking for what to take to the range is like having a birthday whenever you want. I might start thinning a little but I won't give up them birthdays yet.
    ​O|||||||O

I do that thin the herd thing all the time. I take them out set them aside into go and keep piles. Then the go pile gets smaller and smaller and pretty soon they are all back in the box. Just can't do it, too painful.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Armybrat,

Even upside down that's a pretty revolver. I'd probably wear it out just cocking the hammer: C.O.L T. ...over and over again.
    ​O|||||||O

Didn't vote either way 'cause I've long considered myself to be collector of firearms....but I've never bought one I would not shoot.

Cars, wimmen, guns, old tools, whatever....collect and admire, but also put/subject to proper use.
    NRA Benefactor

I've shot everything I own.
    Not that I've got anything Big Time collectable.
    Have gotten some good deals on new guns I could have easily flipped for a profit.
    But I don't do that.
    I keep it and shoot it - LOL!

I have only three I've never shot. Two side by side 12ga that were my grandpa's. I'd be afeared to shoot them. The other is a Mosin Nagant still in the box along with the bayonet, oil can and ammo pouches. So many people have bought them and have modified them. I figure in another 50 years or so there won't be any originals left and I might make a $5-10 profit on it! I do have some that don't get shot much and others that get shot quite often.

Errr, I mean I used to have them. Avalanche took 'em all a few years back.

Damn Avalanche's will get you every time. Just got hit with another myself. Start over again.
    Funny you mention Mosin Nagant, I was cleaning the dust off some rifles right before the avalanche and one was my Mosin, I have a rifle (might be a Cossack Rifle) and a carbine. Never shot either one but I might. The carbine is like new, probably never issued. The rifle is a tad rough and the bore is not great but it's getting better. I brush her out and soak it now and then and I think it was improving. Done the kroil and JB bore thing which helped but didn't cure it. Now under all that snow I'm sure it's a write off and probably broken. Got me to thinking so I found Enemy at the Gate on Netflix and was able to watch it for free. Great movie, seen it a few times, I'll watch it again.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A recent event made me change my mind about not shooting collector pieces. I lost my father earlier this year. He had a rifle that was collectable. He was very sick and we knew he didn't have much time left. He wanted to shoot his rifle. when I mentioned the value and what it would do to it, he said, I'm dying. I want to shoot my rifle. We shot the rifle and had a good time of it.

After that I decided that any collectable guns I had would be sold if I was not going to shoot them. FWiW, the rifle was appraised and shooting it hurt the value very little if at all.

I'm glad your dad got to shoot his rifle. That would only increase the value to me and would be all the more reason to keep it as a family keepsake.

When my dad was sick and time was short I frantically tried to return his 1917 Enfield back to it's original military configuration. He had sporterized the stock but left all the metal stock. Didn't straighten the floor plate or any of that usual stuff.
    I got not great stock and hand guard but didn't arrive quite in time to get a picture of him holding it. It was close.

I'll still never sell it. His wife who I got along with quite well while he was alive turned into a gold digger so I'm glad I asked for the rifle before hand. Not any great value other than sentimental. I have my grandfathers 1917 also, only rifle I ever hunted with except a model 94 I used when I hunted with him.

Wow, suddenly occurred to me I've never hunted with a store bought production rifle. Well I guess the 94 was a production rifle so guess I did after all.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Quote Originally Posted by greg_r View Post
    A recent event made me change my mind about not shooting collector pieces. I lost my father earlier this year. He had a rifle that was collectable. He was very sick and we knew he didn't have much time left. He wanted to shoot his rifle. when I mentioned the value and what it would do to it, he said, I'm dying. I want to shoot my rifle. We shot the rifle and had a good time of it.

After that I decided that any collectable guns I had would be sold if I was not going to shoot them. FWiW, the rifle was appraised and shooting it hurt the value very little if at all.
    And there ya go! Especially given this past year...I get it.
    NRA Benefactor