CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training drill/aids for shooting better?

Default Training drill/aids for shooting better?

Hello, after taking my PM40 to the range for break in, (and shooting like a spaz) I wondered if there are any ideas on training drills or aids for the .40? I see the Laserlytes and other laser type devices for showing a flinch, but what about other drills? I do not want to be reinforcing bad habits! No rails to mount devices on-I have shifted to 2 eyes open, and am going to practice practice practice smooth trigger pull, maybe balancing a coin on the front sights. Any hot tips on other drills? Is dry firing OK? Does anyone have laser type things they are selling? THANKS!

What are you trying to do, shoot more accurately at paper targets or shoot defensively ? We shoot for fun, competitively, and more importantly for self defense. Paper punching is boring to us.
    We practice on human shaped card board IPSC targets but with a twist. We shape the targets into a curved shape. Think about this, a body isn't a flat surface. It's 3 dimensional.

We shoot straight on or at an angle into the curved target. The objective is hit the spinal column.

Hits out of center straight on will probably not hit any vitals on a flat target. Or center hits from an angle will also miss vitals.

A drill my wife does is to stand arms length in front of the target. At a signal she does a palm strike to the face or punch to the throat, moves quickly backwards while drawing and shooting into the target. She'll do this going straight back. And then going to her left and her right aiming at the sides of the target. She does this with her K9, & PM9. There's a video somewhere around here showing her doing this.

Our biggest fear is hitting an innocent bystander. So all hits are always on target.

The curved target isn't our idea. I shoot with some sheriff's deputies on there own time and this what they do.

I hope I didn't offend anyone's sensibilities
    Attached Images Attached Images

^^^ that looks cool.

Dry firing is fine. I did lots of it myself. Pick a spot on the wall and concentrate on completing the trigger pull without moving the muzzle.

You mentioned flinch and that reminded me of a Jocko training method: have a buddy load a couple mags for you. Have him put a snap cap or two in at random. That snap cap will reveal any flinch.
    ​O|||||||O

I would try to find someone with more shooting experience to shoot with. They can watch you and tell you what you are/aren't doing. .40 cal isn't the easiest to shoot. It takes lots of practice and the right technique for you. Sight pictures, hand holds, grip, trigger, they are all important. The only way to get rid of flinch is to shoot a lot. Eventually, your brain will tell you that nothing bad is going to happen, and it usually will stop. I find that if I concentrate on trigger pull, stance, and grip, the flinching will go away. The accuracy will come in time. I don't flinch, but back in the day, I sometimes would. What I did was load up the first magazine of the day, and rip off the whole mag fast. After that, no more flinch that day. It may not work for everyone, but worked for me.

All of the above are good suggestions. I have a number of revolvers with Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I practice dry firing at a small 1" dot from about 30'. If you learn to control the trigger of a DA revolver you should be good with just about any other trigger system especially Kahr's which very closely resemble a DA revolver action.
    "Never pet a burning dog"

Quote Originally Posted by rumblemonkey View Post
    am going to practice practice practice smooth trigger pull, maybe balancing a coin on the front sights.
    Dry firing in the comfort of your own home. Choose your target, aim, squeeze the trigger, click, maintain your aim. Did your sight picture move? Yes? Well then you need to do better. Did it remain perfectly still? Then you're more awesome than me. Congratulations.

I was at an indoor range and I ran out of targets. All I had left were two one inchers. I was shooting an MK9. The youngsters in the stall to the left laughed when they saw me run them out. So I bet them I could hit both bullseyes in just two shots. I didn’t make them pay up. Dry firing works. Just do a lot of it.
    ​O|||||||O

As others have said, there are lots of different types of shooting.
    And as the old adage goes; practice, practice, practice and then practice some more
    If you are interested in concealed carry/defensive shooting?
    Consider getting a flash sight picture (front sight only) and quickly get multiple hits center mass at close range.

Getting a perfect sight picture, being in a perfect stance, exhaling and squeezing the trigger
    is great for slow fire bullseye punching.
    But IMHO not realistic self defense training.

Good Luck and enjoy your Kahr!

Oh, BTW, I've got a MK40 Elite and the gun loves (groups best) with 180 gr sub-sonic rounds.
    Also, I find 180 gr tends to have less felt recoil and faster follow up shots.
    Personally running Federal HST for self defense
    https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...ic-tests/#40SW

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    I was at an indoor range and I ran out of targets. All I had left were two one inchers. I was shooting an MK9. The youngsters in the stall to the left laughed when they saw me run them out. So I bet them I could hit both bullseyes in just two shots. I didn’t make them pay up. Dry firing works. Just do a lot of it.
    Why would you bet someone at a public indoor range that you can hit target(s)?

Why not?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."