Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Training drill/aids for shooting better?

Agreed, Why not? Showing a snickering youngster that the old guy can still shoot is a life lesson to them. I was once shooting my S&W on an indoor range when the youngster two lanes over (just me and him there that morning) said "you cant hit anything with a 642 S&W fast enough to save yourself". I smiled and asked him to put down his wonder nine and come watch. I ran a fresh target out seven yards, put my 642 loaded the 130grn Winchester white box back into its pocket holster and that combo back into my right front pocket. I told him to get a good view of the target, I put my right hand on the lane shelf in front of me and said "call it". He left a long pause, maybe to unnerve me, but finally said "GO"! With a practiced, quick, but not lightning fast draw, I put two shots center and one in the teeth of the "bad guy" target. The young man Gave me kudos and we talked about all the factors that led me to be carrying the 642 a lot. I believe the young man learned that with a change in the grips, a Wilson combat spring kit with and a sensible ammo choice (standard pressure 125grn XTP's) the little J frame was a viable SD weapon. He also admitted that his Glock (too) often stayed at home in the safe because it was too bulky to carry everywhere. I let him shoot five or six cylinders full of the WW and he was happy to be hitting pretty good by the end. He also insisted I shoot his Glock (meh!) and we discussed holster options for it (he had one of those cheapie plastic paddle holsters) so that it might go with him more. So I made a new friend and taught a youngster (maybe 27/30... youngster to me) that he could think outside the "Guns and Ammo" box about his SD choices and I had a good time doing it.
    Enjoy the range and when you can, the people around you too.

Peace
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

I have seen people walking around like a chicken going Glock, Glock, Glock............................................. ........

What might be even better that demonstrating that old guys still got it is making a suggestion that will help improve another shooter young or old.
    I had a couple fella's not young but younger than me that were in the next lane. They were using the old cup and saucer grip technique and were hitting good for windage but vertical stringing. After politely asking if they were open to a suggestion I showed them the newer suggested grip.

In short order both had virtually eliminated the vertical stringing and were doing decent groups.

But my all time favorite thing at a range is when some young dudes come in with their girlfriends or wives and they are shooting and the girls are standing at the back wall. Not for long when I'm around. I'll go ask why they aren't shooting. Usually it's they say the guns are too much for me or they haven't offered.
    I fail once in awhile but usually they follow me down to my lane usually accompanied by quizzical looks from their boyfriends. I always keep a loaded holstered gun on my hip at all times at the range. If I'm shooting the carry gun, I'll load another and switch before I shoot. Never caught with my pants down nekkid ya know?

I always bring a 22 along even if I'm not gonna shoot it. Usually my Smith 41. They always enjoy it and I've gotten lots of hugs and even a few smacks right on the smackers, no smacks from the boys yet although a few usually come down and want to look at my toys. I usually let them shoot them too long as they don't try to kiss me right on the smackers.

Embarrasses the heck out of my kids when I offer help to those obviously needing help and especially when I go get the girls. Guess it's a curse.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

A friend of mine has a lot of shoots on his property up nort during the nice weather months. Mostly .22 rifles, but everybody brings handguns to the party.We always do/try to get the wives/women involved. Over the years, we've gotten many of the women to take an interest, be it smaller than ours, and they've turned out to be good shooters. These experiences helped my wife become a confident carrier herself. We always try to get women, and kids involved in the activity. A safe bunch we are...........................................we are always willing to give our experiences to them, and any help.

When I was actively shooting and studying all I could, I found a fixed laser just didn't work for me. I bought a laser cartridge that fired when the striker hit the base for 3ms, just long enough to see the shot without after shot wiggle. That improved my range shoot by a great deal. Don't recall the maker but they were worth the cost.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Thanks to all for the input and ideas! I was really just putting the break in rounds thru, and overlooked the getting the smoothness and accuracy fine tuned. I will be drilling with dry fire and the laser capsule described in the last post. I added bright orange color to the front sight too, my vision and focus has changed. I may try using both eyes too, how many of you use this? I have contacted and old expert shooting friend to see about help too. I like the 3D target idea too, I work in a busy inter city trauma OR, and you would not believe how many patients come thru with multiple gunshots, (Chest and abdomen) and somehow they live! Some even do not require surgery! Making shots count is an important aspect. Thanks to all, thanks for this forum!

Thanks to all for the suggestions, JG, the red box in your targets looks right of center-left would be the heart, and I am uncertain of the idea "
    Hits out of center straight on will probably not hit any vitals on a flat target. Or center hits from an angle will also miss vitals.
    ", (even though some are hit, they survive)-plenty of show stoppers off center, specifically leftish! In spearfishing shots to the spine are the general idea for smaller fish. I like the curved target too! Anyone have a favorite laser trainer? Thanks again! Off to the range-

Need more posts, but I may start with a smaller cal handgun and move up to the .40

Quote Originally Posted by rumblemonkey View Post
    Need more posts, but I may start with a smaller cal handgun and move up to the .40
    One other thing to consider when shooting your .40. Squeeze it with a death grip. That's what I do with my CW40, and it turns out very nice groups when I hold it like that. It also makes the recoil much more manageable, and helps with follow up shots. Helps eliminate flinching too. These small pistols, especially those with the "snap" that a .40 has, are not forgiving of a less than perfect grip. You should practice the squeeze when you're dry firing too. The bonus of the tight grip is that it will help when you shoot every other pistol that you own.